HOW MANY PINS ON MY PORT?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      igotthat
      Participant

Just installed my card now i need to buy a cord. I know my hv40 is a 4pin. this port has 2 800 and 1 400, it says the 400 is a 6 pin but nothing about the 800? which is what ill be wanting to use. Here is the link to mine, any help appreciated, Thanks

http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-FireWire-PCIe-Combo-UGT-FW210/dp/B004QY7M3Y

igotthat
      Participant

and do i need a cord that says it handles up to 800mbps?

doublehamm
      Participant

The cord ends shapes are the easiest way to tell apart a 400 port from an 800 port. If your camera is not 1394b (800) though, which it likely is not because it does not NEED to be, you only need a wire that has the “A” style end (400). Either port should work though – the “B” ports are backward compatible. As long as one end fits your camera and the other end connects to the card you are goo to go.

Rob
      Participant

Just to add to what doublehamm mentioned, the FW800 port is 9-pin.

4-pin and 6-pin are 400mbps. 9-pin is 800mbps. You don’t NEED one with a bandwidth of 800mbps because you’re not getting that out of your camera anyway since it has a 4-pin connection. In fact, I have never seen a 4-pin to 9-pin firewire cable to begin with. So your only option might be a 4-pin to 6-pin firewire.

igotthat
      Participant

ok thanks for the info guys i didn’t know the pin # actually dictated the rate i thought it was the camera and port which is why i bought this port that had a 800 on it… wish i would of known because oi spent extra to get one that had 800 ports, oh well lol

igotthat
      Participant
      doublehamm
      Participant

That should work! Also if you ever use 1394b devices in the future, you will likely need to install the unibrain driver (I don’t have a link for it at the moment, and it was not even the same brand as the card I bought but yours looks similar.) for it to function at its potential. I have a 1394b CF reader and I went through a lot of trouble pinpointing why it was not any faster than my 1394a ports on my PC. Once I finally found the correct driver for it, my files download off my CF reader at over 70MB/s and they are CF cards rated at 60MB/s.

igotthat
      Participant

ya mine says no drivers needed but after youtubing it i did see some instances where people needed a driver for it to work. I may switch to a card based camcorder after this idk but i have alot of tapes that need captured now.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best 360 cameras available — 2021

360-degree video is a brand new medium driven by new 360 camera technology. However, its immersive qualities create unique technological challenges.
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

CANON EOS

REBEL T7i

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN