How many of you burn dual layers?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I recently took on a performance gig where i had to provide many dvds. I made regular dvd-r’s, but I was thinking of going with double or dual layers in the future to provide better quality, since the performances are pretty long (more than 2 hours).

I could not find places that sell DL dvds in large quantities, so I’m assuming many of you dont use them. I was wondering how many of you use dual layer to deliver content.

Thanks.

Inactive

http://www.cdrdvdrmedia.com sells both dual layer +R and -R. I have not not used either but I am capable of -R DL. Sooner or later I’ll buy some. You can also check out http://www.tapestockonline.com

Participant

I have seen a videographer in the past compress the video, give lower quality and make the DVD longer. A friend of mine received a 2 hour single DVD for his wedding. When I told him what happend he was not to happy.

Inactive

Hank!

You hit it right on the head.

That’s what I do. I’m sorry but after an hour I get antsy… so I’m thinking that everyone else is too. You can get those twin disk cases all over the place so delivering 2 disks isn’t an issue at all.

RAM

Participant

Dual layer dvds are less reliable. The number of DVD players it will play on is much lower than that of single layer DVD-Rs. DVD+Rs (which the DL disks are based on) are also much less reliable.

Inactive

Although I have not yet tried them, the dual layer -R’s are supposed to be as compatible as single layer -R’s.

Does anyone have any experience with them?

For those of you who can’t sit through more than an hour of video without needing a break, how in the world do you watch a Hollywood released movie? I typically fit 100 minutes on a single layer disc. I use 7.0 MBps VBR at 100% quality and Dolby stereo sound. I have however fit a little over 2 hours on a single layer before and the video wasn’t bad. Some compression artifacts on fast pans but nothing more than that.

All in all I still prefer 2 single layers over a dual layer only because of cost.

Inactive

Regarding the cost, I do not think that 2 single layers are that much cheaper than 1 dual layer, cause you obviously have to have a cover printed on them if you are a professional. So if you add up the ink and paper cost to that, they are not so different.

Participant

If you are a professional you are not using paper lables on the dvds themselves because of the fact that these stick on lables can cause the dvds to get off balance in the player. Also the lable can come off. Printing directly on the dvd is much more reliable.

Inactive

[quote="videolab"]If you are a professional you are not using paper lables on the dvds themselves because of the fact that these stick on lables can cause the dvds to get off balance in the player. Also the lable can come off. Printing directly on the dvd is much more reliable.[/quote]

An even more expensive solution. You don’t have to print directly on the cds to be considered "pro".

• Viewing 8 reply threads

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap