How many different file formats for HDD camcorders

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion How many different file formats for HDD camcorders

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I know that i’ve made comments on this on other people’s posts but I’d like to get a list of the different file formats used in HDD camcorders.

To reiterate… I bought my dad a JVC (HD) HDD camcorder. The manual says it’s an HDV (MPEG) format, but the file extension is .TOD.

I was wondering what other formats have been used? And why don’t they just record in MPEG format?

Participant

“And why don’t they just record in MPEG format?”

Apparently it is just an MPEG file. A quick google search implies that the reason for the difference is some kind of copyright issue.

Inactive

That’s what I’m wondering.

Because of this problem, it take two or three extra steps to be able to even watch the movies that you download from the HDD camcorder.

Participant

I think you might just be able to change the file extension to mpg. I don’t use this format, but that is what some of the sites I looked it up on said you could do.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best laptops for video editing — 2021

For video editors, finding the perfect portable workstation is like catching a unicorn. It is no easy task to find the perfect balance of performance vs price point.
homicide-bootstrap