How long to keep files for old projoects before deleting

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion How long to keep files for old projoects before deleting

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I am a wedding videographer and I was wondering if any other videographers could give me some advice on how long they keep their files before deleting them… To free up hard drive space.

I have about 7 events saved to a Hard Disk.
      Included are:
      – Video files downloaded from DV tapes.
      – Project files
      – Rendered segments
      – DVD Files
      – Music/sound
      – Pictures

Now I figure that I am going to keep the DVD files and rendered segments for a while, just in case.
      But the original video files from the DV tapes… do I really need to keep those. I don’t have a backup copy on tape, I have already reused those tapes. But I figure the video has been edited and produced, so The rendered files and DVD files would be all I really needed … Right?

Thanks for the advice.

Participant

I generally tell the clients when I deliver the DVDs to let me know within X days if there is an issue with the video (meaning technically, not just if they want it redone). After that period I feel free to save a copy of the DVD image and any other footage I want to keep and delete the rest. If the client has no issues, there’s no reason to keep it all, IMO.

Inactive

I do something similar (but not exactly the same) as Endeavor. I send my clients an evaluation DVD, and let them know that if they want any changes made, to let me know within a certain time frame (usually 30 days). I let them know that as soon as I hear from them (or if I don’t hear from them in that time), I’ll send out the final copies. I’ll typically wait a week or so after I send out the final copies (just in case), and then I wipe them out, all of them.

One thing about me-I don’t like to reuse tapes. First of all, the smallest amount of money anyone is going to spend on my service is almost $1,000. For that price, I can afford to spend $20 on brand new tapes.

Additionally, when you reuse a tape that you haven’t taken the time to fully erase, you run a couple very real risks. The first, one I’ve experienced, is time code corruption. When you record the tape the first time, your camera imprints a timecode, along with a bunch of other information that you can’t see (ah the joy of digital recording). Anyway, when you record over a used tape that you haven’t erased, the smallest glitch can corrupt your new timecode, and throw your whole tape off. Nothing screams "Angry bride" (or worse, "lawsuit") like having to explain to them how you lost half your footage because you were trying to save a couple bucks (almost literally a couple) on using old tapes.

The other problem with reusing tapes is that you lose any chance of making money off that footage again. True story. I did a wedding for a fairly well-to-do couple last July. We delivered the tapes to them, and they loved it. About 6 months later, I got a call from the groom. He told me that he wanted to make a special gift video for his friends, who were the musical talent at the ceremony. He asked me if I could put together a video of them from their wedding footage. If I had reused those tapes, I wouldn’t have been able to, but because I archive my old tapes, I was able to make a great video, and at the same time, make almost another grand. That MORE THAN paid for the cost of all the tapes I buy. Plus, I’ve been able to sell some of my footage to TV shows like TLC’s "Wild Weddings". Most of these shows pay decent money for any spare footage you might have, but you’ve got to have the tapes to get the money.

Now, MiniDV isn’t a world class format for archiving, mind you. Given enough time, the quality will degrade. But if you keep it in a cool, dry place, well, I’ve got tapes that are 5 years old in my archives that are just fine.

I know you probably don’t want to have piles of tapes lying around, so there are other things you can do with them. For example, I’ll erase the older tapes, and use them for my own personal "hobby videography" or for projects that aren’t live, where we can repeat the scene again if there is an issue. I also donate some of my erased tapes to a local church that uses MiniDV tapes in their cameras. They love it because they’re good enough for what they need, and I love it because it clears out my old stock.

Participant

I don’t usually reuse the tapes for the live events.
    But I do reuse them, like you said, for my own personal stuff.

But how do you completely erase a tape?

Other than recording with the lens cap on… but that’s not really erasing it though.

Thanks

My original question was more for storage space sake.

Inactive

If you want to erase a tape good, pass a degausser over it. It will completely demagnetize the tape, as well as anything in about a 10′ radius. What I’m saying is, don’t do this while you’re in a room (or near a room) with tapes you don’t want to erase. Once the degausser hits them, they’re as blank as they come.

Participant

On a Roll Wrote:

If you want to erase a tape good, pass a degausser over it. It will completely demagnetize the tape, as well as anything in about a 10′ radius.

Where do I get a degausser?

Thanks

• Viewing 5 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap