How is ground shooting prevention implemented?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I am starting to look for a new camcorder, and as yet have not set a dollar range. I know that I would like a camcorder that will not capture more than a few seconds of footage of the ground when the camcorder is just hanging from the shoulder strap. At this time, my only digital camcorder is a JVC, which will record several wasteful minutes of ground shooting.

Are there camcorders that will detect when they are pointing down for more than a few seconds? ( in a sense "gravity-aware")

Or is the only way to prevent ground shooting to require that you keep a thumb on the button?

To my knowledge, such a feature does not exist. I think you should patent it, if it hasn’t been done already. I think it’s a great idea and feasible.

Mark

Inactive

highmeadowhiker Wrote:

Are there camcorders that will detect when they are pointing down for more than a few seconds? ( in a sense "gravity-aware")

I highly doubt it. When shooting quickly and for the edit, you will want random footage [ground footage works]. This would be a pain to deal with if it stops automagically, especially if something goes haywire. Also, I see such a system having problems with high-G environments.

Inactive

One of the main problems with this "automag-shuttoff" feature is that when recording a multicam shoot, the footage will be out of sync with the other cameras making this an editors nightmare. I suppose I wouldn’t have a problem with it if I had the option to disable it. I don’t believe it exsists, so go ahead and pattent it like suggested…I’m sure it would be a good selling point for consumer cameras.

Best Regards,

Corey

Inactive

It is probably already patented as a shutoff technology of some sort, just not used for video cameras for the reasons stated.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Hand-held Stabilizers Buyer's Guide

Best camera stabilizers for video — 2020

A camera stabilizer lets you capture smooth shots without sacrificing freedom of movement. Here’s a look at the best handheld stabilizers available today.
homicide-bootstrap