Is Video REALLY important?
      How important, really, is video to people. Do they want to use it to
      preserve memories, or simply be entertained by it? Where is the
      business of video today headed?

Will DYI get to the point that it is impractical for people in this
      business to focus on event production as a valid business model? Will
      there still be plenty of people who prefer to pay for services, rather
      than buy stuff – “stuff” being the computers and software and
      camcorders that make it so simple to DYI?

What about delivery? Will it get to the point that we no longer have to
      deliver “hard copy” – that delivery will be completely over the web,
      downloads; or will the next format for delivery be high definition on
      SDHC cards and/or USB thumb drives?

Participant

I’ve had an ongoing discussion with Eric Franks (http://www.videopia.org and prior of Digital Juice) about delivery options – he feels that medium will become irrelevant (BluRay, DVD, etc…) and online will be the way of the future.

I agree with him to a point but there are still folks like my parents who can’t figure out the DVD player (they even have a hard time with VHS sometimes) – a large segment of the population just like them – who will never go online or if they do will not do anything requiring specialized software (like video codecs and plugins).

Personally, I think a static memory based medium is next (thumb drives or something like them) – No moving parts makes for a better product in my view (less to break) and storage will be something to consider as well – Maybe plug the chip into your home media system and it gets copied to the hard drive for future use.

Having a thumb drive type of mechanism makes two things easier – 1) Portability (you could plug it into your iPod) and 2) legitimate copying (much easier and cheaper to copy to a slew of these for mass distribution than burning or pressing something).

This type of thing would also handle DRM and even open up the possiblity of online purchase form the set top (which if made easy enough even my parents could do) – Like movies on demand but with the option of multiple views. Maybe a pricing model like $1 for one view and $5 for multiple views – We’re kinda there already with Tivo and cable.

Just MHO – I’ve been wrong before and certainly will be again. (Also, Eric is correct mroe than I am).

Inactive

This is such a relevant topic, thanks for bringing it up earl. My biggest concern is not DIY because let’s face it, most of us started as DIY-ers and so there is a fine line between loving this and trying to get an extra hundred bucks out of your aunt for having a steady hand at your cousin’s wedding. I must say the reason this doesn’t scare me is because I know how many people are there who are as lazy as I am and would usually rather not have to deal with it. I am definitely a “just pay someone else to have the headache” kind of person. (when it comes to non-video stuff at least)

I mentioned this on dvprofessionals in a similar thread of yours earl, but as for the medium it is certainly going to change and do so quickly. It is hard for wedding videographers to keep up with photographers because of how much easier it is to put the photos out all the time, in a frame for example. So one of the things I do in my company is that I load some of the highlights on an SD card and put it in a nice digital photo frame, that way the video can be as prominent a reminder as the photos. And sometimes is makes them feel a little more comfortable spending the money on having a professional video, since they know that it will be enjoyed more than just when they break out the long boring DVD.

I think that the movement toward solid-state and internet delivery will be a brilliant addition to this industry once, we become able to grasp its power. I bring you back to the wedding photographer because many of them use things like pictage.com and picassa.com to have a digital storefront and that way family and friends can go online and maybe grab a picture for themselves with the bride and groom if they want. If video can tap into this usability, and maybe find a way to cater it to our specific industry, I think we will move lightyears ahead.

Participant

I do not think DIYers will take away from the Pros. Look at photography. Anyone can get a good digital camera and snap pictures but special events still hire professional photographers for the job. The same will go for Vidographers for a long time to come

Delivery

I can see something like what iTunes does in video rental today propigating.

An on-line rental that does something like Birdcat’s suggestion, rent a single streamed showing,or any number of streamed showings over a fixed period of time, based on the fee. The service monitors your use and regulates it accordingly.

Or you can buy a download, like any other software, that would require you to enter an access code the first time it is run. Then it’s yours to play back any time after that. You could have “redbox” type kiosks located anywhere, They would would be electronicly updated with movies either over something like WiMax or hardline. You plug in you storage device pay the fee and it loads the video onto it. The reciept could have a website/800 number to get the access code from to be able to load it and run it when you get home.

The professional could do some things similar to the above. Web downloads could be paid for by the copy or unlimited for a fixed time period to be available. Theevent organizeris given an acess code, (as stack of printed business cards with site and code on it?) that could be specific to that event, they can share with thier group to go download it. The site can offer hardcopy for a moderate price for those that choose that route once they log in.

I know there would be ways to hack these but if the distribution is such that no hard product has to be designed, manufactured,and/orfreighted anywhere, the savings would meanit could be priced at the point the hack effort is not worth it.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best Sony lenses — 2021

Sony has made a name for itself in the camera market lately. From its popular mirrorless line to its cinema cameras, Sony seems to be everywhere. The Sony E Mount has been around for about a decade. Since then, it's...
homicide-bootstrap