How do you get to be a CERTIFIED video pro?

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

OK, we’ve threshed out all about becoming a video pro before, but how do you get to be a CERTIFIED video pro? Is there a well-knownexam you have to take?

The reason I ask is, I graduated from my local Community College with a Certificate in Video/TV Production this last spring, and wondered if that meansI can put on my resume: “Certified Video Professsional”. The certificate is a one year, occupational, standard college certificate, basically a lesser Associate’s Degree.

I don’t want to put”Certified” on my resume, if in reality, it means you’ve taken some exam I haven’t taken. That’s just plain unethical. At the same time, I think this will give me more clout in the video community, seperating me from the accountant in the next town over, who started a wedding video business by shooting his cousin’s wedding a few years ago.

What’s your opinion, or do you know the real answer?

Participant

Wow! I didn’t think this was so hard a question! Or maybe it’s a super-obvious question.

Idid some research on it and can’t find any big exams, except for specialty companies that do sound systems for convention centers, hotels, etc. and you’d be certified with their company.

Any thoughts? If this seems super obvious to you, it doesn’t to me. All I need is for someone to say “Duh, dude, it’s…”

Thanks!

Participant

What exactly is a Certified Video Pro?

While I am familiar with companies that offer certification in their software like a certified AVID editor or the Adobe ACE (Adobe Certified Expert) exams, I have never seen anything more extensive than that.The creative industry isn’t like being a doctor or a lawyer, there isnt’ any governing body that oversees and monitors us so trying to push an overall certification process is impossible. I remember that a few years ago there was a push in the web design industry to try and establish some kind of ranking system for the skill levels of people in the industry. It was being pushed by Thompson Learning an educational book publisher and some educational institutions I think. But it pretty much fell apart because there was no consensus on what the criteria for certification should be.

Participant

Sony also has their certification program – http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/training/certification.asp

Participant

OK. I think I’ll put Certified Video Professional on my resume. I’m not certified with some company, but I have a certificate. It won’t say ‘Certified Sony instructor” or Certified Adobe Instructor”. Just certified in video/TV, since that’s whatthe piece of paper itself says.

Participant

>>OK. I think I’ll put Certified Video Professional on my resume<<

Thats a different issue. It is a one year certificate from a Community college. Since the industry itself doesn’t have any real certification criteria for being a video pro the phrase basically has no meaning.

Inactive

The way I see it and the way I haveexperiencedit is…

If you are making a resume to work in the actually industry (Broadcast, Film, Radio, ect) your experience and previous jobs will speak for themselves. When companies are looking to hire they are not going to look at what certification you have (most of the time). They will look at where you have worked before, and usually what kind of education you have. They will know by that information if you are as you put it, “certified” or not.

Now, if you are trying to sell a service like video production, you won’t be handing out your resume. Instead you will show your possible clients your demo reel so they know what to expect when you offer them a service.

As stated above, there are some certifications you can get like Sony, Avid, and I also know Apple offers certifications of their Pro software.

http://www.apple.com/software/pro/training/enduser.html

Again, in the industry, it’s not really going to matter if you are certified or not, but it will help.

ld.

Participant

I think it would be a bad idea to say certified video professional, unless all you intend to do is apply for companies managed by idiots. I think any video professional will quickly see through this, especially when you have to explain what it really is…Than it doesn’t seem to impressive.

All you need is a good demo…or something to prove your experience.

I would however give a reference to your video education.

Also, the Avid, Adobe, and Apple certificationsmentioned are highly recognized in the field and would get the credit deserved.

Best Regards

Participant

Finally, people are answering! I hoped this would be a hot thread immediately, but ok, better late than never.

All right, all right. First off, I’m mainly going to be using my resume on Monster. Hence, a quick title to grab the hiring guys would work. Note that these are HR business guys, who know basically nothing about video. “Certified” would catch their attention, and there’s no good place for demo reels on Monster.That’s the reason I wanted a quick answer, so I could finish up my Monster resume because I need a really good job ASAP.

And yes, I know about the importance of a good demo reel. I like to think that the first time that piece of advice first appeared in these forums, it came from me, but that may not be true.

And while i’m thinking of it – lukerd12: Aren’t you from Canada? Do they have Monster up there?

Participant

Certified sounds rather posh, but when people ask what it means, and you say, well – I went on a course, they might be put off. Is there some kind of US society that you could get membership of. I’m a professional member of the Guild of television cameramen here in the UK, and clients can go to the website and check up on professional members credentials. I’m not sure if has ever got me a job, but it does mean something. We only have a few similar jobs here that have ‘certified’ attached to them, and most of them revolve around professional jobs such as accountants, legal execs, electrical and mechanical engineers – but nothing remotely media-ish.

I view it a little like people who stick their educational qualifications after their names – does it mean they are better? I don’t think so, and I’m betting many of our customers wouldn’t be taken in either.

To my knowledge no specific group or organization, federal, state, county or municipal goverment, chamber of commerce or Better Business Bureau, or any other recognized regulatory agency offers certification or issues a license for a certification process.

There is an organization for those entering, or wanting to provide video deposition services, but it probably isn’t mandatory to establishing yourself in that video service area – at least not in EVERY state, or by every state law bar.

However GREAT or not it may be the Wedding & Event Videograhers Association (WEVA) does offer such a program. Still it isn’t a mandatory thing, or necessary to conduct business or establish your bonafied qualifications for providing video production services. Not that many clients really know who or what WEVA is, and like many other association certificates/awards is more of an “internal organization” cap-feather feature than a serious qualification process, or one that will prove a strong marketing tool for you.

There has been discussion by such groups as WEVA regarding establishment of such a certification program, and acceptance of same by either/and/or membership, independent professional video service providers at large, but I doubt this highly independent community of businesspeople will ever accept such requirements voluntarily.

Certification could certainly be a good thing in some respects for our business community, but the process would in so many ways be selective, restrictive, subjective or too costly, or fill in any other complaint here, to ever achieve voluntary, even mandatory compliance.

Educate yourself. Be confident. Establish a qualified referral/client list. Develop a quality demo reel. Tell the truth about your skills and capabilities, and be honest with your clients – then self-regulation is good enough to start calling yourself “professional.”

Participant

Thanks everyone!

Participant

I like to use the word “Certifiable”.

Inactive

Hey I forgot about this post.

Yes I am from Canada and we do have Monster here.

But I landed my internship at a tv show through mandy.com

This website is strictly for the video/film/television industry and I’m sure you can find some work there.

Anyways, once you get your foot in the door, it’s all about networking and meeting different people.

You can also sometimes find work on craigslist.com

Hope that helps.

ld

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap