How Do You Archive P2

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I am purchasing my first prosumer camera. I’m looking at the AG-HPX170 and HVX-200. Here is the question: How does one archive video shot with P2 only? With a Mini-DV tape, I understand I can simply store the tape on the shelf – waa-laa, instant archive. But with the P2 “style” – how in the world do I archive??

Participant

You can burn all your video files onto a disk. It may take a lot of disk right now though since a DVD only holds 4.7GB. Actually, I think they have duel layer DVDs too.

Maybe you could buy an external hard drive, like a 100GB drive, and load all your footage on that and keep it in a safe place.

Participant

This is what a quick google search got me:

A Dual-Layer DVD differs from a standard DVD by employing a second physical layer within the disc itself. A drive with dual layer capability accesses the second layer by shining the laser through the first semi-transparent layer.
      Dual layer recording is available on DVD-R and DVD+R discs for storing significantly more data, up to 8.5 GB per disc, compared with 4.7 GB for single-layer discs.

I would probably go with dual layer disks depending on how large the project is and how many files need to be backed up. Disks last a long time if you keep them out of the sun and in some sort of container, although, I guess you could say the same about an external hard drive as well.

Participant

robgrauert,

Go with DVD media if your video project is too rigorous for a hard drive. Ie: DVD media is still more resiliant than a spinning hard drive in my opinion.

For most , though, archiving P2 media to a hard drive has been the answer.I use a new App called “ShotPut P2” from Imagine Products to send my video from a P2 volume to several hard drives at once. It never hurts to have your gold in several places 🙂

http://www.imagineproducts.com/ShotPut_P2_Edition.html

Luck,

Andrew

Participant

Yea, I know people archive with hard drives too. I’d probably do it too, but i feel like disks may be more cost effective depending on how much media needs to be stored, although hard drives are pretty cheap these days. Whatever works is cool…

Participant

Just be careful about archiving to HD – Ihad a 500GB one go south on me a couple of months ago and lost a lot of stuff that I will be paying a lot of money to recover.

I would go with a BluRay burner for larger files now (25GB and 50GB). It may be pricey but BD blanks are way cheaper than P2 cards!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best stock media sites — 2019

If you’ve so far avoided using stock media in your projects because of the stigma it carries in certain filmmaking circles, you’re missing out.
homicide-bootstrap