How Do You Advertise Video Business/Get Work?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hello all,

For the past 5 years I have been doing freelance videography and editing, getting work primarily though word-of-mouth.

But now things are going slowly and I am really ready to pick up the pace. I have a website, and I’m known through a few outlets just by word-of-mouth.

My question is this: How do you advertise? I know there are many successful videographers in this forum, and I want to know how you guys (and girls) get steady work. There are so many options out there, and I’m just wondering which one(s) will work to my advantage.

Thanks so much,

–Nick
      Blue Edge Media
      http://www.blueedgemedia.net

What are you currently doing to communicate with all the client’s you’ve served over the past 5 years? How often do you talk with them, see them or send them a note? The best way to boost your sales is to communicate often with the clients that have already hired you and are happy with your services.

Also, I noticed that you work primarily as a freelancer? Are you saying that you primarily work for other video producers? If this is the case, I’d suggest working towards building your own corporate client base. You should be the production company, not just the videographer/editor. It’s a bigger risk but the reward is much greater as well. I didn’t start to experience real growth in my video business until I started doing less freelance work and more turn-key production work for my own corporate clients.

Inactive

The change in the internet allows your consumers to market for you. With every video I convert and place online, I put the entire video up. Not 5 minutes, not 15, the entire 1 1/2 hour or 2 hour piece. I also password protect them and create a dynamic web 2.0 guestbook. This allows my viewers to type as they watch the media online. The overall effect is that I don’t have to rely on personally reminding people what I do. They tell their peers. They send out links to watch the media online. Those viewers who can’t be bothered to watch your media won’t, but they will read the reactions of other people who have. They will post responses, and discussions will start, like we are doing here. It does take a certain amount of business to get new business, and as the user above me suggested, you do have to do some networking with clients. But use the web to your advantage. Let your clients speak about your work. Build the tools so that they can easily consume. Don’t limit video to an isolating experience, get it out to where lots of people can watch and comment on it so that each time they do your logo and brand are visible to them.

One place which really helps me is the local video association. It’s not a place for me to prove I’m better or try to pick off competition. I’m in Illinois, and I’m sure there are associations in most states. I have visited a few, given talks at others, and I find that members help each other out with tips and forward leads.

virtualscribe

http://www.wedclip.com

Inactive

So far, posting flyers and having free listings on some sites has worked–I’ve been contacted by some companies for corporate video work, which I was unfortunately unable to do, but it was nice to get some responses. If interested (hope it’s OK to list the sites here), check these sites out:

http://www.productionhub.com, http://www.bigdaysmallworld.com

The first has listings in many categories, including video producers, freelancers, film producers, and duplication services. The second is for wedding and event photographers and videographers, also has many listings. One producer mentioned in an article that she only has free ad listings, which has really helped her business–word of mouth is still the best, though. Try these as well as other methods and see which ones work best. Also, be sure to keep learning–any kind of education is priceless!

Inactive

Hi Nick, MYVB, vs and jj:

I enjoyed reading your posts and am interested in working with other videographers who have websites in setting up a national network of inter-linked websites for the purpose of promoting and selling our videos in our respective areas and neighborhoods.

I am just getting started with a prototype website designed to accomplish this goal and invite you to visit at http://www.myDVDnyc.com

Please feel free to comment, make suggestions or ask questions via email, this forum or the one on my site.

I look forward to networking with other video producers on this project in anticipation of generating more business for ourselves.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best tripods for video — 2021

Carefully comparing and reviewing system specs will ultimately help you find the best tripod to fit your needs and your budget.
homicide-bootstrap