How do they do this?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I remember a while back, I saw a little video clip or some guys who looked like they were racing down the road. But they were just sitting down on the ground acting like they were driving. The video seemed to be done in some sort of stop-motion animation. It just looked like they were gliding along the ground, going around corners, just normal driving stuff, but without the car. So how does one do that? Would it just be done with a digital camera, or would a camcorder work for that? I just think it would be a fun thing to try.

And, after you get all the pics, can I use Premiere or Final Cut to string them all together so that it looks animated? Is there any special thing I need to do to the pictures to do that? Thanks alot,

Lee

Participant

From the look of the video that I remember, I don’t think it was done that way, although it is possible with a chroma screen. It’s just that the guys in the video were actually there on the road. I wish I had a link to something like it to let you see online. If I find one, I’ll post it.

Participant

I just found a link to one of the videos.

bekow.free.fr/vroom/index_eng.htm

Let me know what you think. The site says that it’s stop motion, so I guess I’m just wondering how to do it, and is there a special program that I need? Maybe I’ll search the forum to see what others have written.

Participant

Stop motion is basically frame by frame animation. Stop the action, then take a frame, then move the object then take a frame and so on. Its pretty basic stuff. I did it with an old camcorder when I was 13.

Participant

yes, same technique that was used for “claymation”. Remember the old Gumby shows? some camcorders have an option to record frame by frame, but I suppose you could also use still .jpg/ .jpeg pictures with even as simple a program as Windows movie maker, then once you get all your hundreds of pictures in (you’ll have around 900 for 30sec@30fps or 450 for 30sec at 15fps) you can save as a movie file and then it will be converted. 15 frames per second should be plenty for a project such as this.

Or you can find some friends you don’t like and talk them into hanging from cables attached to a boom in the back of a pickup. Have the pickup drive down the road with your friends inches off the ground while you videotape all the action. Ok, just kidding about that, leave that stunt for Hollywood.

Participant

if you do use still pictures, dont worry about getting all the duration perfect, maybe shoot for .25 second duration for each picture, save to video, go back and adjust the speed until it looks right then save it again.

Participant

It’s obviously stop-motion. The trees and clouds are a dead giveaway. And it took hours to shoot as evidenced by the lengthening shadows.

You can use a DSLR to shoot every frame, as was “Corpse Bride”, and import the images into your video editor. I don’t know how Photoshop does it, but it’s a simple import in Vegas.

Steve

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best After Effects and motion graphics template sites – 2021

You have the tools needed to create stunning motion graphics, but do you have the time? If not, using motion graphics templates can be a great way to add polish to a production without blowing your deadline.
homicide-bootstrap