How Do I Digitize a DVCPRO Tape?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi all,

I volunteer for a non-profit organization. We had a production company create a video for us. They sent us all the raw footage on tapes (DVCPRO AJ-P126L) and a DVD with the Final Master Video on it in .VOB format.

Long story short, our rights to a song on the video will expire soon. Since I can not cut out the music on the VOB file, I need to get the tape footage onto the computer and rebuild the Video. I have a high end computer that I built myself. I’m a computer nerd thats why they asked me to help with this project. lol – I’ve never done any *real* video editing before, just playing around with home videos from a DVD Cam.

My question: What do I need to purchase to read/encode/decode these tapes onto my computer. I’ve looked into purchasing a deck but I’m not sure exactly what I need. Since this will be something we plan on continuing (creating our own videos) I don’t mind purchasing the equipment. I just need some direction. Thanks for your help.

-GG

Anonymous
      Inactive

if you need to bring in an analog source, you need a convertor. I recommend canopus. At a minimum you’ll need the 110, the 300 is nice with a built in time base corrector. If you have a dvcpro deck with firewire, just simply plug it into your computer’s firewire port start your nle capture program and savethe tapeto your computer for editing.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Ok, lets see if I understand this. I need to have the following:

1. NLE capture Program (I have Adobe Premiere Pro CS3)

2. A Capture Card (Canopus 300)

3. A DVCPRO Deck with Firewire connection.

Am I missing anything? Thanks again!

Anonymous
      Inactive

if all you’re capturing is dvcpro and not anything like s-vhs, vhs, hi-8 (analog sources), then you don’t need a capture card provided that you have a firewire port on your computer. Again, you only need a convertor if your source comes from an analog output.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Production Gear’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best camera bags and cases — 2021

Finding the right camera bag or case for your gear can be challenging, particularly if this is the first bag or case you've ever purchased.
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN