How did you learn how to edit ….?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I’m having a hard time learning how to edit. How did yo guys learn how to use the time lines, story boards, learn how to split the audio … egads!

I know I need to read the manual, but does anyone have any tips they can share?

Im using showbiz and I have movie edit 11. Thanks!

Also, how in the world do you edit 2,3, and 4 cam shoots?

Inactive

ishootparties

Ram, what editing program do you suggest? Is premiere elements a good entry level one? Help? :'(

If you are using a Windows PC, I would think so. It would get you used to looking at an Adobe interface and maybe down the line you might want to jump up to the big brother "Premier Pro". That’s what I use. πŸ˜‰

You know out of this whole thread, "compusolver" really said it best when he said that anybody can be a splicer (paraphrased). The real good editors have more of an artistic approach to editing. It’s not just putting footage together, it’s about making an impact with what footage is available by use of very creative means and techniques. I guess what I’m saying is that it’s not necessarily the editing program being used that will make or break you as an editor… but rather it’s what you do with that program that will make you a successful editor.

RAM

Inactive

How’d I learn? Reading the directions and fiddling with the software πŸ˜‰

How’d I get better at it? By doing it, and learning what stinks and what floats.

Basically, the best way to learn is to start using it. Find a tutorial, or read the directions whilst editing a video. Good luck πŸ˜‰

Participant

[quote="compusolver"]I first started back in the sixties when we literally cut and spliced tape, then after a lull of a decade or so got back in the eighties when I used Commodores and Amigas connected to tape decks for editing. After another decade lull I got into NLE editing.[/quote]

Amigas! – Yikes – Shades of Video Toasters!!! Whatever happened to those folks? (Toaster guys, not Amiga)

Inactive

ishootparties,

If you have never used any kind of NLE before, its best to learn to walk first before you can run. Im sure that my esteemed colleagues before me will agree that the basic concept of how NLEs work is pretty much the same between all of them out there. The only difference between all of the programs is how they look and operate and how many features are available. Quality however can very somewhat.

When people ask me how one should start learning how to do this, I just suggest using Windows Movie Maker. Its free and it is very basic. After a few hours of experimenting you will start to get a feel for it. It comes with all of the basic tools and transitions needed to create a basic simple project. Sure it only has a few timelines but then you wont have to manage so much.

Im not going to lie for a person that wants to learn a computer based NLE will also need to be very computer literate or it could be a major struggle. After a while though, you will start to understand the workflow, terminology and the techniques used and soon you will be ready for bigger and better things.

Both comp and roll said it all. You first have to spend a little time reading to get you going but its the experience that makes you good.

I remember when I first loaded Premiere Pro and fired it up. My eyes fell out of my head. It was so overwhelming that I thought that I would never figure it out. Now I know it like the back of my hand. Don’t laugh but the hardest part for me now when working on a project is deciding what kind of music I should use. X-D

BTW: If I recall, you were getting into wedding videos if Im not mistaking. IMHO youll want to use something better because Showbiz and Movie Edit wont do justice when it comes to weddings.

Good luck and don’t worry… you get it! πŸ˜‰

RAM

Inactive

the hardest part for me now when working on a project is deciding what kind of music I should use.

No joke! Sometimes that’s easy, but other times, it’s utterly impossible. Once I master the music selection aspect, I’ll tell you all how to do it, but don’t hold your breath! πŸ˜€

Participant

The previous posts have it right search for tutorials, practice, read a book, practice. If you want a more personal way to learn check out taking a class at a local college as continuing ed (or credit if you want to get a education in this field) these classes are cheap usually 70-100 bucks a course at a comunity college. Also with taking a class you get the advantage of learning at least a little of how to really edit not simply how use software. The software is the easy part the hard part is knowing where and why to make a cut, when to use a dissolve and why to not use all of those 100+ transitions that show up in your software. Also read "In the Blink of an Eye" by Walter Murch. It is a great book on editing and a must for any editor. Plus its only like 3-4 bucks on ebay.

Inactive

Thanks for all of the great feedback. I’ll follow a few suggestions and soon, Ill be editing with the best of them! πŸ™‚

Dont count me pout, ya heard?! πŸ˜€

Inactive

Ram, what editing program do you suggest? Is premiere elements a good entry level one? Help? :'(

• Viewing 8 reply threads

Best Products

The best royalty-free music and sound effects sites – 2020

Music and sound effects are a crucial part of any film or video project. Using royalty-free stock music in your next project is one way to cut costs without sacrificing quality.
    homicide-bootstrap