How can I reduce star effect of lights in darkness?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Specialty Topics Outdoor Video How can I reduce star effect of lights in darkness?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

See sample video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVRCaRs-BYw&feature=player_embedded

What I want to know is how I can get this quality but without the lights making a star shape or halo, but still get the same high quality image of the other stuff that we do want to see (eg. road markings, cars, buildings etc)

Participant

Have you tried using a circular polarizing filter? I would think that ought to do the trick.

Participant

1) clean your lens and check for scratches.

2) set your aperture wide open manually if you can.

3) a polarizer or nd filter may force the aperture wide open if you cannot set it manually.

4) adjust your exposure to reduce the intensity of the highlights so they don’t overxpose…

failing that, if you can’t beat em, join em. Try placeing an actual starburst filter on your lens to make the effect look more deliberate, or try adding black cardboard discs infront of your lens that have little cut out shapes to create interesting Out of focus highlights (or Bokeh) effects…

Participant

Looks like this is being shot frominside the car.

Make sure the windshield is very clean both inside and out (this looked like wiper blade marks to me). Also make sure your camera lens and any filters you are using are very clean as well. Use a bright light source and shine it at an angle on any of these surfaces when inspecting them increases your chance to see any smudges and such that need cleaning.

Participant

Craftersoflight… I did not actually review the video, but you are very right in mentioning the windsheild/window if it is very scratched up it too will create starbursts or smears if dirty… and the solution may wind up being…. mounting the camera outside the vehicle… a good cleaning with lemon pledge on the inside and outside of the windsheild may help fill in the tinier cracks…. for the shoot….

Inactive

Hey guys, thanks for all the advice. I’ll have to shop around for filters and work out how to manually set the exposure on the camera. If I still have troubles I guess Lemon Pledge is worth a try, but hey… that sounds like work! Anyway thank you for all those suggestions.

Inactive

Don’t shoot through a laminated windshield…learn the basic of optics and the properties of light. On a practical note, if you fix the camera outside the vehicle you will need to fit simple protection filter or cheap uv. One bug or small stone hitting the naked camera lens is going to trash it. The air/glass vacuum deposited coating is very delicate. It is something one has to live with. Dare you risk it? Beer, wine or vomit will have the same effect…I guess the last example you may see that coming! I always pack a couple of cheap uv filters for motorsport, saltwater and parteee shooting. You get the idea. as per:http://vimeo.com/19610699

Participant

on that note, I’m playing around with go-pros for my motorcycle… comes with a case, and mounts… image quality seems ok in a few tests I’ve done so far… just have to wait for spring…

Participant

Keith, just curious, do you know if the boatsaround the boatwith the camera are Boston Whalers painted green?

• Viewing 8 reply threads

Best Products

The best stock video sites — 2020

Stock video sometimes gets a bad wrap in the filmmaking community. In reality, however, we see stock video used every day in any number of applications. Below, you'll find our selections for the best places to look...
    homicide-bootstrap