How can I “shrink” or resize a clip and place over

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing How can I “shrink” or resize a clip and place over

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I’ve been trying to figure out how to resize one video layer and place it over another, and have the ability to move the resized one around within the frame, rather than keep the screen edges in place, sort of like you can do with photoshop by scaling something down and moving it around over a 2nd image until you have it in the correct position. Is this even possible? If so, can it be done with Premiere? If not, does anyone know the program or programs required to do this?

Participant

This is a fairly standard thing that you should be able to do with any good NLE. Can’t say about Premeire though since I’ve never tried that but Sony Vegas and Adobe After Effects do enable this.

Participant

I’ve actually just started learning to edit and I’m only really familiar with windows movie maker. I’m in the first semester at the Art Institute in pittsburgh taking their video production course, and haven’t made it to the non-linear editing class yet so I wasn’t even sure what it was exactly until I looked up the definition just now. I’ve made several dvd’s for family and friends’ events(weddings, birthdays, etc.) but I plan to get deeper into this. I’ve been told final cut pro can do just about anything but I don’t have an apple(next semester hopefully), but I’d like to learn to use a pc to edit as well. Does after effects have alot of special effects-type options that you know of? The reason I wanted to edit in this manner is because we’re trying to make a short horror/twilight zone type film that involves giants, and rather than have the standard green screen matte line issue that appears to be common with green screen shots, I wanted to try using a background around the person in the scene that will be added as a top layer, and try to blend it in with an identical color in the background layer. For example, shoot a person in front of something black, then rather than cut only him out by removing the chroma key background, I would cut out the black area around him as well, and layer it onto something that’s also black, so it won’t be as noticeable overall since the attention will be on him more than the area around him. I don’t know if any of this makes sense, or how it will even work, but I figured there’s probably a program out there somewhere that would allow me to do this. If after effects will, then I’ll try that. As expensive as these programs are I want to get the right one that can do everything I need, rather than play the hit-and-miss game. If not, I would at least like to find a program for the PC that would allow me to resize something in a layer after removing the chroma key background, and also allow me to move it around on the background to create the video effect of a shrunken person in a giant hand, and similar effects.

Participant

Here’s how you can achieve what you want in Premiere (your first post).

Add another video and audio track to the timeline. Click "Add Media" and select the video that you want to overlay from whichever folder you have it in. Add that new video to the new track which you just created. Automatically that new track will be the one seen, it will override the other video in the monitor window.

Click on the video clip on the timeline and in the monitor window you will see very small "handles" appear at the four corners of the video. Those are your resize handles, now shrink the video size and click anywhere inside the image and pull it anywhere on the screen you want. Now you have your overlaid video in a small screen on its own while the other video plays as normal size behind it.

Participant

tzanaglio Wrote:

Does after effects have alot of special effects-type options that you know of?

After Effects is THE post production/special effects/compositing program.

Participant

I really appreciate this everyone! I wasn’t sure which software to buy, but I’ll buy after effects, or a version of CS3 that includes after effects. Thanks!

Participant

I personally think best way to resize video – using VisiCrop http://www.visifly.com/VisiCrop/

Participant

CS3 Production Premium is the software that you’d want to get. It hax AE, Premiere, PS, AI, Flash among some others that I can’t think of off the top of my head.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best camera bags and cases — 2021

Finding the right camera bag or case for your gear can be challenging, particularly if this is the first bag or case you've ever purchased.
homicide-bootstrap