How can I do live streaming with a Mac Book Pro using the SONY HDR-AX2000?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Specialty Topics Online Video How can I do live streaming with a Mac Book Pro using the SONY HDR-AX2000?

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hello everybody, I need to do live streaming with a Mac Book Pro 2011, using the new <span class=”unread”>SONY HDR-AX2000</span> ..this camcorder model does not have firewire out/input ..it comes only with a component video output, USB, HDMI and composite A/V video output..

I wonder how can I plug this camcorder to the firewire port of my laptop? Browsing on internet I found that Grass Valley Company produces this converter ADVC-55: http://www.amazon.co…=A17MC6HOH9AVE6 ..but I am not sure -not even after checking the amazon reviews- if this device will send the video signal through firewire to my laptop, in order to live streaming properly? ..anyone in this forum could help me please?

Thanx

Participant

the correct link for the video converter is: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/312315-REG/Grass_Valley_602005_ADVC_55_Analog_to_Digital.html

Luis Oscar MaymiLuis Oscar Maymi
      Participant

Hello bustosdomec

How great, I did exactly what your asking last week (and many times before). The AX2000 does not have firewire so you need to use either the RCA ports or HDMI. If you use RCA, the Grass Valley converter should work, BUT you will need a program that can read the signal coming from the camera. Programs such as BoinxTV or CamTwist (Free) should identify the feed coming from the device (which is connected to the Firewire port).

If you want to use HDMI, more expensive equipment comes in. Since you have a 2011 Macbook Pro, it has a Thunderbolt port (which is extremely fast), you will be able to use a device such as Blackmagic Intensity Extreme to broadcast in full HD. This device should be read by all streaming softwares (Boinxtv, Quicktime Pro, Ustream, etc). Is a little expensive, but it should work and you will be able to use RCA cables too.

If your budget is tight, then you can use an EasyCap. Don’t expect too much, it only gets the job done with a somewhat mediocre video quality. Audio needs to be recorded with an external device for best quality. This had worked for me every time, although the Intensity Extreme is in my wish list (after I get a new Mac). For more info about streaming live over the Internet visit this post. I talk about live streaming in more detail. If you have more questions go ahead and reply to this message.

Participant

Thanks a lot!!! ..you’ve saved me! ..I think I will go for the Blackmagic Intensity Extreme because the price is “a bit the same” with the grass valley converter..with taxes and shipping cost me $318 ..should that worth?

what I still miss is a converter that allows me to work through firewire… or you do you think there’s no need? with the amazing thunderbolt interface??

Participant

Glad to help

The Blackmagic Intensity Extreme is a lot better than the Grass Valley converter because it has HDMI, RCA and can be use as a complimentary tool for video editing (Premiere Pro, Final Cut 7). I would pay the extra bucks.

If you use Intensity Extreme there will be no need for firewire. You will be using it for streaming and you can get better data transfer speed than thunderbolt (11.5x faster than firewire 800). If you have an older camera with firewire port, you can buy a long firewire cable and use it as a second camera for streaming events. For the AX2000, Intensity Extreme should be all you need.

Inactive

I have a similar question but my issue is for the Sony AX2000 but with a pre thunderbolt MacBook Pro. I need to be able to live stream the footage as well as record to SD or direct to the laptop.

I was looking at the Blackmagic Intensity Shufflebut would like some advice. Is this the right piece of kit and What additional software would i need for the stream?

Participant

Hello MJ Hindman

If you live stream using Ustreamyou will be able to record everything with that platform. Although the quality is somewhat bad you still have the recordings with you.

You can also record direct to the laptop, but for optimal results you will need asoftwaresolution such as BoinxTV. The problem with this is that it takes a considerable amount ofprocessingpower to record (at least in HD). The Intensity Shuffle comes with it’s own software which I believe should let you recorddirectlywhile streaming live. Not sure how that can be done, but I believe you will need Camtwist to feed the video signal to Ustream. Still Intensity Shuffle should work for this.

Inactive

HI, this forum is really helpful. just wondering if using a camera with firewire connection on a MacBook Pro 2011, will i still need a Blackmagic Intensity Extreme?

and what works best for streaming boinxTv or wire cast? i check out boinxTv and it doesn’t stream video unless selecting a preview area with TwistCam.

thanks.

Participant

Raf

When you connect your camera via Firewire BoinxTV or Wirecast will read it automatically as a new video source. It’s a lot easier with Firewire because you don’t need any external devices (such as Intensity Extreme). Just plug it in and you’re good to go. I use an old Hi8 camcorder as a second camera connected via firewire and the AX2000 as the main camera (connected with an EasyCap).

When streaming with BoinxTV I always use Ustream and in order to stream you need to have CamTwist. You need CamTwist because that’s how Ustream read the video signal coming from BoinxTV. Is really easy to setup, but in my experience having two monitors to control BoinxTV really helps a lot.

Inactive

Hello lomaymi thank you for your help. I’ve been trying boinxTv with cam twist and came across this tutorial on how to stream only the preview window of your boinxTv. Its just a set up on cam twist, hope it is helpful. I also came across a problem: on ustream, i can’t get it to recognise camTwist as a video source. It simply isn’t there as a choice. My question is, do you always stream with upstream? I think i will give wordpress a try.

once again, thank you for your help.

Inactive

heres the link:

Inactive

I'm just getting into live streaming.  I have a MacBook Pro and a Sony HDR-CX380 HD Handycam Camocrder.  What device and software do I need to adapt from a 3 prong camera output into the computer's USB port or is wildfire better?   Sure need the advice — I'm Mr novice.  Thanks.

We recommend you just use a easy and cheaper way,just a small video capture card is ok for solving your problem,check the link below:
      http://seetec.cn/ShowInfo.aspx?id=32&py=HDMI-to-USB-3-0-Capture-HTU3-0
      You could contact mr.jack for details,his e-mail:jack@feelworld.cn

Participant

Probably a bit late – as he needed to do this in 2011 – so been over five years. You’ve dragged up some really old topics and added to them – which is great, if the original post was recent?

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap