How Best To Use My Canon

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

i have a Canon Camcorder its not a HD cam and im on a lowbudgetat the moment butthatsnotgonnastop me from making videos so i want to know the best way how to use my cam to get the best results i can get

its a 16 gig internal memory with memory card slot

up to 2000 zoom

audio an mic input

Participant

Finity, I not sure if you are asking for technical help on using your cam or if you are looking for suggestions for what to shoot. If it is the latter, you can’t go wrong by shooting what you love- nature, your kid’s activities, urban landscapesetc. If it is the former,please give us some more info about what model, accessories, editing software/computer and expected output medium-DVD, utube etc. Keep shooting. P.S. don’t use digital zoom (2000 zoom).

Finity,

The best use for your current camera is to learn the skills needed for making watchable video. Learn what the limitations of your camera are and how to surmount them to the best of your ability. Learn how and practice shooting video sequences which can be edited successfully. Learn how to get interesting camera angles with handheld, tripod and steadycam style shooting. Learn how to take advantage of existing light and set/studio lighting. Those things and many more are the things you can be working on with your existing gear.

You absolutely do not need an HD camera to learn how to shoot. By the time your wallet will allow you to upgrade your gear, you’ll have the basics down which will be good because you’ll have a whole new set of things to learn after moving to HD. So the main thing you should be doing now with your gear is shoot, shoot and shoot some more.

While I shoot some corporate and small business production, Finity, 90 percent of my production work is events: either school performances, youth sports, personal celebratory events and a BUNCH of funerals and memorial montages. I also have a half-dozen annual community events that I get to produce, many of them I’ve been the go to video producer for more than a decade.

EVERYTHING after “corporate and small business production” is STILL shot and produced in SD … good old standard definition, using Canon XL1 and Canon GL2 units. Long in the tooth, oh yeah. Does this mean I’m discounting and refusing to go HD? Oh no, it’s just that I make a decent annual income with SD production work and the demand for HD simply isn’t happening for me, yet.

Am I losing opportunities because I don’t push hard for HD production? Probably. But I’m just not inclined to push hard for stuff I have to go and rent equipment to produce (depending on the budgets involved) when I can do relatively well with event video production in SD.

For the record I’ve nearly always planned to move to HD first quarter 2012. And that still looks like when I pull the trigger. Meanwhile, I conduct an ongoing business and make a decent annual income shooting and producing standard definition videos.

There’s plenty of opportunity for you also, in the SD production environment. Fortunately, in many cases, the units these consumers play their resulting DVDs or other delivery format videos on have up-rez or other capabilities that provide excellent quality visuals from SD. The purists and those having side-by-side units to compare the difference can readily argue for HD, but for a lot of others, there’s standard definition.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Professional Fixed-Lens Camcorder Buyer’s Guide

Best camcorders for any video shooter — 2020

Professional camcorders are often smaller, lighter, cheaper, and have more controls than other cameras. These are the best on the market today.
homicide-bootstrap