how best to convert .avi into Quicktime DV or .mov?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing how best to convert .avi into Quicktime DV or .mov?

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I just licensed some wildlife footage to an educational production company. The footage was shot with a Canon ZR200 camcorder and captured via firewire into.avi. They want the raw uncompressed footage so they can edit it themselves. But they don’t like .avi. I am not willing to release the original tape and cannot duplicate it so they said Quicktime format on CD or DVD would do. How do I do this in Premiere Elements 2 with as little compression as possible? When I choose to export to Quicktime, the multiple codecs to choose from under the advance tab and all the possible setting variables confuse me. Someone said I would need to download Quicktime Pro to do this properly. Is this true? Why wouldn’t a free shareware converter like Apex work just as well? What is the best way to do this? Can someone suggest an optimal setting in Premiere 2? Computer is desktop Sony dual processor. OS = Windows XP Media Center edition. Thanks, Judy

Participant

When you captured it to your computer, was it captured as a dv video ? If it was, then the avi file you have is the same as the raw video file on the tape. You can see if you can export the video to tape, then send them the 2nd copy. If you take the avi file and convert it to any other format then you will be loosing quality and it will no longer be the raw video.

And if you captured the video in another format (mpeg 4, divx, wmv, mpeg,etc) then you have already lost the quality and just converting the avi file to a dv format will not bring back the quality allready lost. You will have to re capture the video as a dv.

Participant

You could use free http://www.media-convert.com. You upload the video from your hard drive and pick render settings and things. Itwill have the same settings asthe software, though.

Participant

I only know that Premiere Elements 2 is a video editing sw. Can it really be use as a converter?

Participant

If you have Adobe’s Media Encoder you use the drop down menu to get Quick Time format and use the compression of none. That will do the trick but the file will be huge. I just recreated a 30 second commercial and that is the format they wanted and it turned out to be 1.2 gigs.

Participant

You can use a converter avi to mov , That is a professional and wonderful converter , and it easy to work . you can follow the steps do it yourself .

Participant

Adobe media encoder is ok but compressor will give you the best result.

Participant

@Awesomesauce,

OP is on a Windows box, so no Compressor.

If you captured it with firewire…..Just convert it from .avi dv file (720×480) to .mov dvcpro (720×480).Keep it interlaced and you should have no generation loss… by the way they shouldbe able to use a .avi dv file if you captured it with firewire.

Participant

As you know AVI is a container format, not a specific type of file. When QuickTime opens an .AVI file, it checks to see which codecs were used to encode the audio and video tracks within it. For example, an .AVI file may contain a video track encoded in the Cinepak codec and an audio track encoded with the ALaw 2:1 codec. If both the audio and the video were compressed using a codec that QuickTime can use, the file will play normally. If the audio or video or both were created using codecs that QuickTime cannot use, you may see an error message.

A best way to convert AVI to QuickTime is to use a yet professional tool like Brorsoft Video Converter. I've used for years.

Inactive

AVI (Audio Video Interleaved) is a container format designed by Microsoft to wrap audio and video stream together. The video in AVI file can be compressed by many kinds of codec, such as MJPEG(Motion JPEG), MPEG-1, MPEG-2, DivX, XviD, WMV and others. To play all AVI files, your player must support all of these codecs. So far, no matter you are a Windows user or a Mac user, QuickTime only natively plays AVI files with MJPEG video.

Two ways to solve the issue:

1. Perian: As a great open-source QuickTime component, Perian is the saver to allow QuickTime to play all kinds of AVI videos for Mac users. Unfortunately, the latest version 1.2.3 of Perian is not compatible with Mac OS X Mavericks(10.9), Mountain Lion(10.8) and Lion(10.7).

2. Convert AVI to QuickTime compatible formats: In order to solve "QuickTime won't play AVI" on Mac (Mavericks included) and Windows, it is best to convert AVI to QuickTime more popular formats like MP4, MOV with some professional AVI to QuickTime Converter.

Personally recommend a guide at: http://www.faasoft.com/articles/quicktime-avi.html

Participant

i know a software called iDealshare VideoGo which can convert AVI to QuickTime supported MOV, MP4, DV.

Step by step guide at http://www.idealshare.net/itunes-quicktime/quicktime-avi-solution.html

This guide also helps to convert WMV, MPG, MKV, FLV, VOB, 3GP, TS, and etc to QuickTime format

Participant

There is lots of video converting software like ALL Video Conveter the will help you to conveting all video files as per your requirement.  

Participant

you could use adobe media converter to transcode to .mov

Participant

When it comes to freeware, I'd definitely recommend ALL Video Converter. But, if you have Adobe Media Converter, I'd definitely use that to transcode. 

I used one of your recommended one called iDealshare VideoGo which is really perfect.

It helps me to convert AVI to MOV, MP4, DV and Apple ProRes

And i find another step by step guide at http://www.idealshare.net/video-converter/convert-avi-to-mov-on-mac-windows.html

Inactive

Format Factory can do this task.

I don't mean to sound impertinent, but why are you doing the conversion? It sounds like you are on Windows, and the licensee is on Mac. If they are on Mac, I'm guessing they have either FCP X or Adobe PP. Either of those platforms can perform the conversion easily, and they can choose their own transcode settings. One less thing for them to come back later and complain about.

Actually, there are many online apps can do the video conversion for your, such as zamzar, Acethinker Video Converter, mediaconverter, etc. They are totally free, and you don’t have to download or install anything.

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best stock media sites — 2019

If you’ve so far avoided using stock media in your projects because of the stigma it carries in certain filmmaking circles, you’re missing out.
homicide-bootstrap