How best to capture live sound (Promo for a DJ)

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hi,

I’ve been asked to film a promo for a local DJ (He does birthday parties, wedding receptions etc). I have a Sony HD1000.

Re sound – I’d like to capture general ambiance of the party as well as the music. I don’t think the on board mic would be suitable. I’m considering using an XLR adaptor with something like the Oktava MK-012 mic. Just wondered if anybody had experience of filming in this kind of environment and what they would advise.

Re music copyright – not sure how this works if you’re filming a DJ who is playing chart music (are you as a videographer in breach of copyright?)

Thanks

Participant

Hi Dwyerfen

The on-board mic would not be suitable. If you want to capture quality sound including the ambiance I would suggest considering the Zoom H2 digital recorder (http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h2/). You have to import the wav file afterwards and add it your video in your editing software – a bit more work but the quality will be good which is important in a promotional video.

Inactive

Thanks, I will check this out

Participant

Hi – I’m glad someone brought up audio – I was just going to ask about recording live audio in the field.

“If you want to capture quality sound including the ambiance I would suggest considering the Zoom H2 digital recorder.”

Both the ZoomH2 and H4n were also recommended to me by an audio expert. However, he doesn’t shoot vidoe at the same time. So, for all the “one-man/woman-bands out there: how do _you_ go about recording audio (using external devices) while filming?

Thanks!

Participant

Just pull it from his console. You can add crowd noise as needed.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap