Hourly rate for Non-linear Editing?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I am freelance Non-linear editor.

here’s my issue.

Project:
      24 classes shot by 2 camera(1 main/ 1 close up on the board)
      each class is about 1 hr long.

I need to edit and make dvd set.

How much should i charge?
      can i have some kind of chart for rate?

thanks in advance.

Participant

How about just 1 thread on this.

Inactive

Thank you for reply.
      i appreciate them, especially one from compusolver.

one more question. (it could be little stupid)

what is average hourly rate in general?

Participant

The value of anything is whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

Inactive

I just finished my first "job" — and I charged $50 per hour of editing, telling the client it would be approx. one hour of editing per finished minute. The final cut was 18 minutes, and they loved it! I also charged an hourly fee for filming, prorated. They didn’t blink an eye at what I charged, and they plan to use me for future projects. What a great experience! πŸ˜€

I’m not absolutely sure $50 per hour is good or not — for me it was fair and well worth my while. I started out thinking I’d do wedding videos, but I’m starting to believe that corporate is where it’s at!

Inactive

Hank,

I guess I would go with "TrinaM’s" number of 1 hour per minute of finished video. That includes EVERYTHING! Even DVD authoring but NOT encoding because I do that over night when I’m sleeping.

Like you have mentioned, it comes down to what type of project you’re doing.

Right now I’m doing my second 2 cam theatre stage play that was about 2-1/4 hours in length. That will take me about 10 hours to do only because all you’re really doing is switching between cam shots. Now a very well done artistic wedding project will take a lot longer for me because I’m doing very time consuming features and comp segments to make it look it’s best.

I guess when I think about it, in the end you almost need different pricing schedules based on what type of project you’re doing.

RAM

Inactive

Without a doubt styles could make a huge difference.

Just like anything else, I really believe that with more experience, one can get more efficient at editing.

I don’t know about you or anybody else for that matter but my biggest problem is just coming up with that special unique scheme when creating an edited piece. Ill sit there pondering and staring for the longest time while attempting to come up with something totally new and different. I guess I dont like making things look the same. Thats probably not the smartest or most efficient thing to do but somehow it always gets done in the end and it looks pretty nice. Once I have a scheme or theme going the physically editing actually goes pretty quick.

RAM

Inactive

Actually Hank, I don’t do as many weddings as you do a month so I have a little more time available to spend in the bay. This is more of a passion for me and not a full time job so I don’t really need to push myself. If it was, I think that I would have to change my ways and do the same thing you are doing because I would find myself falling WAY behind too much.

RAM

Inactive

I feel like I’m seriously underpaid for my work. I don’t live in a big metropolitan area so business is not quite the same. I live in a city but demand is not great. No one in this area would ever pay big bucks for my services, even though everyone that sees my work loves it. I am self taught (no degree) so its VERY hard for me to move to a city that has the demand or work for a company doing this line of work.

I charge $24/hour per camera for filming and $18/hour for editing. I estimate editing to about 5 times the length of all the content. A 1 hour show filmed with 2 cameras = 2 hours of content = 10 hours of editing. Thats just for estimating. DVD authoring is also charged its seperate fee. Still a small rate. $25 authoring fee plus $0.25 per minute of video. Included with this fee is 1 menu with 6 buttons and 6 chapter marks. Anything more is extra.

I do feel like I should be charging more, especially as I get more and more jobs and my reputation grows. I can honestly say that I had more work back when I did charge less. I’m not going to lower my rate just to get the work. I know that there really isn’t many companies in this area doing what I do. People are happy with friends filming their stuff for them for free. It really sucks for me but thats how it is here.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap