Hot Rod show opportunity

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Every year there is a hot rod show in my area, over 1000 hot rod and custom cars are on display. There is a burn-out competition and certain categories are judged. I am an independant videographer producing mainly weddings and corporate video but always think there must be an opportunity to make and sell video from this. I would like to get some ideas about rights/pricing/sales etc before talking to the organises.

Participant

You can surf my store page at http://www.ModdinArt.com if it helps.
      They are fun events but unless you engage as a participant or at least an enthusiast, your just gonna have fun at an event and add to your reel.

I have had a degree of success covering such events as a civic focus for local cable television; as a special documentary, focusing on production values and income from either the organizers or group of owners of the primary displays; as a guerrilla-style walk-on – shooting, conducting interviews and passing out business cards inviting those participating to contact and order; and by reading of such events in advance, approaching the primary organization for permission and releases, offering them a free production in exchange for purchase of some established minimum number of copies.

All have worked, and I rarely bump up against commercial competition (for some unknown reason) at these events, usually only having to deal with a group from the local cable or, if huge enough event, local television stations as well as the occasional CNN OCN or other. These guys really think they have the goods and can often become territorial dictators at times. I just grin and move on, or forward instead of butting heads or conducting pissing matches. They’re going for the byte, I’m going for the bread.

You can run up against issues, so it isn’t always advisable to try the guerrilla approach unless you feel really good about it. Best route is to get sanctioned by the organizers, a group of solid participants, or have some other inroad and access without stepping on the toes of sponsors, community leaders and local community cable, etc.

Participant

I could not disagree more. Calling for permission seldom gets it unless shooting for a well-known tv show and it alrams them that you are coming. You’ll find showing up and asking the biggest securuty dude to step aside buys all the freedom you need more often than not. There probably isn’t a venue or track in the US that I have not shot at and much of the time it’s with a “no camera” rule enforced. Look like ya belong and indeed you do. This art applies to anything ya shoot, really. Establish dominance and very few people will ever question it.
      Every now and then I shoot at an event that offers exlusive rights to ESPN. Usually an NHRA event. It’s as easy as staying in the pits on race day then shooting test n tune the next to tell my story. It really just gives me the explusive with the drivers on race day.

Disagree all you want. What I said has, in fact, worked for me. Your mileage and/or experience may vary.

And I did point out that the guerrilla approach was a viable one as well. Pick your poison. Go with the pleasant and/or unpleasant experiences you have. Live and learn. Rock the boat. Stay at home. Pray to God. Whatever works.

Participant

I host a yearly car show and I have people I know come out and film with my equipment. Some are into car, some are not. After its all done, I end up with a 30-60 minute DVD which I sell for a few bucks. But unless you can sell them for $15-$20 your not really making any money. Not to mention, someone who is not into cars, doesn’t do the best job at filming cars and picking things up. I had 10 (60min) minidv tapes and only ended up with 45 minutes of usable footage.

Participant

I sell mine for 20 bucks but I consider em business cards for the tv show. I make no money on them as I all but make em one at a time. While I duplicate 4 at a time, I still lable em one at a time and by the time I ship to wherever… it’s really a wash.
      When I release a new volume, (and hour long) I usually get a flood of about $2500 in sales that night. After that, it trickles waaay down to almost nada over just a month or two. I do promote a new DVD release though and that is the key to that. But like I said, I don’t make enough off of em to spend that much time on that. Again, they are just Moddin’ Art business cards… same as the youtube channel.
      I’ve been at it for about 25 years. Started off selling VHS by handing cards to folks I interviewed at a car show I was entered in. I sold tens per show… usually just about ten. lol
      It’s a passion I still love. Shooting these events first-person is what makes my show what it is. I’m no spectator. Not the media. I’m a participant.
      Makes fun events a great write off at the very least. 😉

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best lights for video production — 2021

Lighting needs run the gamut, from huge budget productions to small, DIY vloggers, and there’s something for every niche. This article will explain what to think about before buying lights and provide a list of the best video lights currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap