I need to shoot a scene in a hospital hallway, but I don’t know:

One: if they will let me shoot in any hospital hallway
      Two: if they will let me shoot during funny hours
      Three: if there are any alternatives to shooting actually in a hospital

Any suggestions would be welcome.

P.S. My budget is very limited…

Participant

Hi,

Are you in/near a city with a university having a med school AND a film school?

Public hospitals may be less uptight than private. I have shot on the sly in a predominantly Latina/Asian client hospital in LA, but I was quick and didnt make a big deal about it. Shooting unobtrusively is an art/skill; i.e., shooting but not acting like it and getting usable footage.

Pay big respect to local concerns about privacy and liability, because thats where they are coming from.

Once did a doc in a big city morgue (Portland OR, OK medium city), but knew a guy living upstairs, a med student. Major diff with a hospital corridor, this is the world of the non living, frozen or just rigid. Other than that, institutional feel is similar. School corridors, ones without lockers, also have that feel.

Outpatient clinics, including for surgery, are all over and might be an option. Gurneys not hard to find in these places.

Do you have any doctors as neighbors?

Do a web search using stock footage hospital and you will find many source/samples. Consider shooting bluescreen and matching action to stock footage clips. Might give you a psych ward feel (with mismatched angles, colors, and such). Write it into the script!

REGARDS … TOM 8)

Inactive

Thanks for the tips.

The one thing that I have noticed that makes institutional look different from hospital is the long running boards that are used as bumpers for gurneys, wheel chairs, etc.
      Do you think it would be neccesary to have those to make it look like a hospital corridor?

Because I don’t really know any doctors or people that would have access to some sort of outpatient center.

Plus I live in Birmingham, AL; so things that would be possible in bigger cities are harder to do here.

Any thoughts?

Inactive

Many (esp older) Nursing homes have a hallway or two that could be redecorated to look like a hospital. Wheelchairs, gurneys and lifts.

Many could use a donation to thier resident entertianment fund….

Participant

Hi,

Nursing homes (good suggestion) and extended care facililities (E.C.F.), both will have wheel chairs and gurneys in plenty. If you have those, and other things are right, e.g., IV apparatus, talent wearing scrubs/uniforms/jammies, etc., don’t think lack of bumper boards would be noticed. Have made numerous visits to an ECF in Queens, NYC, and don’t recall bumper boards (except on elevators) nor can see any in the photos I have taken there.

The lives of people who live in these facilities truly is a perpetual Ground Hog Day. Walking up to strangers in these places to say hello rarely fails to bring a smile or some indication of appreciation. A live shoot would probably be remembered as one of the most entertaining things that ever happened in the place.

But getting from A (where you are now) to stage B (described above) could be a huge challenge. Best of luck to you.

REGARDS … TOM 8)

Participant

Almost every hospitol has a PR department. Most are very accomodating. In fact, sometimes, they’re overly helpful. Take it from a former news videographer…never shoot in a private facility with ANY camera until you have permission. I know it is often a creed among some photojouranlist that "it’s easier to get forgiveness than permission", but save yourself the aggrevation and seek out the PR people. Unless you’re with Mike Wallace, they’ll generally grant you access and even give you a hand with the equipment.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best Nikon lenses — 2021

Nikon cameras are a favorite for DSLR shooters. Nikon has their own line of lenses, but there are also some third-party options available for both F mounts and Z mounts. Here are the best Nikon lenses currently available on the...
homicide-bootstrap