Hockey Game Video Help

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I have two questions which I hope someone could be kindly to answer them for me. First, I want to video tape hockey games w/professional cameras. During the game I want to replay goals, big hits, etc. onto a big screen. Would I have to run my camera to the recorder and thenthe recorder to a projector to get it displayed? Second, does anyone know what would be a good screen to project the video onto? thanks

Participant

Madison:

Screen depends on projection or LCD/Plasma??

As far as your production set-up……what is your budget? If we are in the 200k range, then you can play ball (or hockey!). Under that, you have some challenges. Post again with more details. I love “low-budget” challenges! Let’s see what kind of magic can be made on a shoestring budget……….

Best,

Kfox

Participant

kfox-

yes, its on a low budget of 3000. i am not familiar w/the video aspect. i simply thought have a couple of professional cameras set up around the arena to record the game. also, i would like to set up a big screen to show the goals, big hits and the crowd onto the screen. give a different feeling atomsphere at the ice rink. i justthought the cameras had to be fed into the recorder first and then to the projector. i could be wrong. when i comes to this i’m like a fish out of water. thanks

Participant

I want to see the answer to this too. I am guessing but you might need to add a zero to your plans.

Inactive

well for a limited budget of 3000, you are going to have an incredibly tough time to get something going because it takes quite a bit to get a production going. it’s just like a business it takes a lot of initial funding for assets to get going. for starters what equipment do you have so far? because if you have absolutely zero equipment it’s going to be hard buying more than two decent cameras and tripods for 3000. also what is it that you actually want to accomplish? are you going to be airing these on air? live? online? there are a lot of obstacles here. the projection is another that is especially tricky because with the bright lighting in a hockey rink you have a lot of light reflecting off the ice and you need in incredibly powerful projector, in excess of 10-15,000 lumens so your crowd can actually see it. think of watching a projection screen in a room with the sun coming in through the windows. it needs to be dark to effectively see it. that’s going to set you back in excess of several thousand, plus the screen. i myself run 4 manned cameras, 3 overhead cameras, a replay machine, and a highlight computer recording and editing the game on the fly, i run all of these through a switcher with a graphics computer running on screen graphics over the feed then send it out over our local cable network live with commercials on tape played back at our studio. granted this is much more than what you intend to do, it just takes a LOT of initial funding for equipment and dedicated personnel to do it. our studio is all student run and we get money making advertisments. but for you to get two decent cameras, a projector, screen, tripods, cables, etc. you are looking at around 10,000 plus at the bare minimum.

Participant

It also takes really good people. Watch some of the US tricaster videos – they show their products with the add on slo-mos, scoring and other things people expect nowadays.The anonymous post above (that’s a bit weird no name?) is spot on – you need lots of things – and your use of the word ‘professional’ makes me smile a bit. for any fast moving activity, the cameras need remote zoom demands at the very least, lenses with manual focus, wide focal length range, and probably remote focus. This means hire – because to buy just the lens eats up your budget. The camera sit’s on a pan/tilt head that eats up all your budget, and this is before you drop a fortune on the switcher – even a cheap one. I have an SD portable production unit in my store that cost me best part of twenty grand, and never recouped it’s cost in hire because we went HD. You also need comms – to talk too the camera operators, who need to be good ones – you don’t want out of focus, jerky and poorly framed shots, or you can’t use them.

My feeling is this is too much of a learning curve even if you could afford it. This is why hiring people to do this, though expensive, pays off.

Your audience all know what TV sports should look like. They also recognise bad video as NOT being ‘professional’. I can tell you that being a cameraman on the kinds of OB’s is stressful, and being the director is even worse. I have directed UK slowish sport twice, and don’t want to do it again – I know how, but I cannot split myself into the four people I need in my brain – the visuals, the audio, the add ins like scores, the replays, the commentary and the critical overview – learning to stop watching the live cam and scanning the rest, looking for important things too cut to next. This takes real experience to get right. I don’t think I could do football, and ice hockey is even faster. I could do it badly for you, and I’m quite experienced – you’d be ion a real loser. Bad cameras produce bad output.

robincooperrobincooper
      Participant

Sorry, can you explain.
      Do you need recomendation in projectors or you want to know the best way to show your video.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap