High school football with multiple cameras

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

I work for a school district and have been asked to videotape football games for broadcast on our local educational access channel this fall. It needs to be a multiple camera production (with 3 or 4 cameras) so I was originally thinking about getting a Sony Anycast or Video Toaster, but another idea came to mind. I was thinking about getting a Firestore or other portable HDD recorder for each camera. The entire game would be recorded on each camera from a different angle and I’d take an audio feed from the radio announcers into one camera. Then I’d use the multi-cam editing option in Premiere to "switch" the camera shots and create a polished version of the game for broadcast, adding in graphics and other elements. I like this idea because I wouldn’t have to worry about stringing cables through a stadium, and I think it would be a less expensive option. True, with an actual live switcher I could walk away from the game with a video ready to play, but I don’t think it will bother anyone if we edit it on Monday and show it that night.

I was wondering if anyone here has ever tried anything like this and can offer any input or words of advice. One of the concerns I have is about the length of a game. At 2 or 3 hours, will a Firestore drop frames or loose sync? And in editing, will I need to transfer the files to my editing PC hard drive or can I edit directly off the Firestore?

centre77
      Participant

I know you don’t want to string cables but if you have the budget try http://www.camplex.com
      our high school uses this system. they use a single cable like your cable for your house.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Your original suggestion of edit later seems fine, but thinking about the future: What happens if they ask you to later do it live and tell you they can’t give you any more equipment?
      I would just get reels of 2x Coax (BNC) + 1x audio line and run Video, Genlock, and intercom {one-way intercom would probably work, you shouldn’t need to receive signals from the cameras, simply putting a mic and small mic amp on the head end and a headphone connector [possibly with a small headphone amp, like an LM386 (this is a chip, not a premade product), and two pots] at each camera}. Run your audio seperately (two strategically placed omnis on tripods will probably get a good deal of game noise) and switch locally. If you get a digital switcher with built in synchronization, you can run just video from cameras and use 2-way radios for comms.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Centre77: I had some questions about the Camplex suggestion:

1. How much do these cost?
      2. Is the quality good?
      3. What kind of switcher do you use?
      4. What do you record on?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Miscellaneous Techniques’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best video monitors — 2021

We rely on our video monitors to show us an accurate representation of our images throughout the production process. Here are some of the best video monitors currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN