High School Basketball Video

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I’d love your comments on this basketball highlight video (my son’s team). Thanks.

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v4523748Z8jk5zHJ

Participant

I think you may want to shorten it some as I started to get sleepy watching after about five minutes – I recognize the DJ stuff and that helps the look but I found the intro (out of focus) annoying.

Do you have any footage from different angles? (Like maybe floor level, or behind the hoop)

You also may want to get some more high tempo music to help move it along.

Just my opinion, others may like it.

Inactive

The poster above is correct, toooooooooooooooooolong! Think “different angles”. I used to shoot video for a news station, so I know you can walk around some and get a different shot of that “awesome dunk”.

Inactive

Regarding the comments about it being too long. Maybe I should have prefaced this by saying it was made for the players, as a momento of their season. Certainly a casual observer might get tired of a 17 minute basketball video, but the players rather enjoyed it.

Also, about the different angles. How in the world, with a standing room only gym, am I to stroll around the place to get different angles? Maybe I should have climbed into the rafters for some aerial shots?

With that said, any comments regarding the actual editing (composition, music, effects, etc.) would be appreciated, I think. πŸ˜‰

Participant

I agree. The video is long, but you did make a very good point that it’s not for the average viewer, it’s for the players. and I think that over rides that fact that it’s a bit long.

As far as getting different angles…yea, you need some. Just move around where you want to get different shot. If no one says you’re in the way then you’re good to go. If someone asks you to move, just politely move. It’s not a big deal. You’re not going to get kicked out of a game for being in the way a few times. Even from where you were, you could have gotten different shots. You could have gotten tighter I think.

So I think if you had different shots, people could probably give you more critique on the editing. I like the way you did the replays. That was a good idea how you had the outer edge of the frame out of focus. And I like that basketball graphic you’ve got goin on there. And I like how you knew to get shots of the coach rather than cover JUST basketball. I only briefly skimmed through, but did you get cut away of the crowd cheering as well? That’s always a good shot that will improve your editing.

Inactive

Actually, without a press pass you are prohibited from the sidelines or baselines, so other than tighter shots other angles would be nearly impossible in that setting. At a regular game, without the crowd, that would be possible. What I normally do is make a highlight video of the entire season. Because of home and away games, and the fact that I shuffle the clips, you get the effect of different angles.

BTW, I did have some cut-aways of the crowd and cheerleaders.

Participant

I did one for my son’s team a year ago – I don’t like it too much now (I always try to improve on what I’ve done) but it moves a bit quicker – You can see it here (best at 360 X 240):

http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=1042673792812358683&hl=en

Inactive

It’s interesting that you say your’s moves a bit quicker. In 12:42 your video had approximately 93 clips. In that same time frame my video has approximately 90. It’s funny howone’s perception of something is skewed when you are emotionally tied to it.

I, too, like to try to improve on previous versions. That’s why I tried the blurred intro, something I’ve seen on ESPN and MTV several times (Remember, my audience is teenagers.). As far as the music goes, again, I am trying to please my audience. But I think you will find that, except for the one song (that, by the way, has basketball-specific lyrics – that’s why I used it) the BPMs are right up there with yours.

Participant

Please don’t think I was trying to say “mine was better than yours” – It’s all, as you said, very subjective. Also be aware that I would change my video quite a bit if I were doing it today – It would be a little shorter (about 11 or 11:30 at most) with most of the shortening coming from my longer clips. It may be that I view it as moving faster because most of my shots are from the court floor, closer to the action, and have differing viewpoints. (Also your fewer clips take about 25% longer time overall).

I agree that you try to fit music to the audience but I would still look for faster paced music. I would use different music for mine as well but would still keep it faster paced – Also, since it’s for distribution, I would ensure I used royalty-free music.

Much is based on personal taste – I did a reel for the cheerleaders and chose for the most part to keep it out of the bball version (except any incidental shots) as the cheerleaders and players really didn’t interact for the dozen or so times I saw them. I also try to limit the video effects (I did use slo-mo once) and just personally find it distracting when used too often – That said, I’d also change mine to use the Swipes less (also use other ones as well for more variety) and go to simple cuts & fades more.

I would imagine that your DVD was well received by the team – Mine was and I also did a few highlights DVD’s for individual players for them to use in applying for college scholarships – Two did get them (scholarships) out of the three I did.

Inactive

“(Also your fewer clips take about 25% longer time overall)”

As I stated, my 90 clips were counted in the same time frame as your video, 12:42, so our pace was essentially exactly the same.

Participant

i can’t help but notice that you asked for criticism but seem to shoot down whatever advice people are giving you…

i know you have reasons for why you did or didn’t do things, but what’s the point of asking for a critique if you’re going to have an answer for everything…

Inactive

I find this thread confusing. I know you asked for criticism but it seems at every point,you do havea counter-point. Maybe people aren’t responding directly to what you are asking for…(composition, music, effects, etc) but instead, an overall perception of the video – I don’t know. I’ve tried viewing the video several times, but it doesn’t want to load for me. Must be a problem with my connection, otherwise, I would try to respond. Maybe I’ll let it download for a while this evening and come back to it.

Inactive

Well, I finally got it to download. I will say that it is a little long for me BUT, I have no emotional tie to the team & Ido understand that it was created for the basketball team in mind as your target audience. With that aside, I think that you followed the action well and did get several othershots such as crowd/reaction, cheerleaders and coach. I noticed that you zoomed in on players several times after they scored which helped tomake things interesting. Overall, I think the editing matched the music pace well. I liked the instant replay and the blurred edges of the frame to center my attention on a player. I wasn’t crazy about the execution of the blurry videoin the opening. I think I understand what you were going for, but not sure if it was quite right. Overall, I think you did a good job.

By the way, what kind of equipment were you using? (camera, tripod, editing software, etc)

Inactive

First of all, let me say that I have taken some of your suggestion to heart, such asvarying myshots (tighter/wider)when I can’t physically move my position. But, I thought that an explanation was warranted for some of the points, such as the length. Once I did that it seemed the length was not an issue.

As for my “rebuttles” to birdcats comments, I felt it was necessary to reply as I did because of his video that he was using as an example. In my opinion, his comments regarding it had no merit in comparison to mine. I already stated (in my previous post) as to why so I will not belabor the point.

BTW, my camera is a Sony TRV340 Digital 8, with a Vivitar tripod. I used Ulead (Corel) VideoStudio 10+, along with some Digital Juice products.

• Viewing 13 reply threads

Best Products

The best audio and video recorders β€” 2020

In this article, we’ll cover the best external recorders for both video and audio recording. Then, we’ll go over the specs we considered when making our selections so that you can choose the best recorder for your...
    homicide-bootstrap