hi8 transfer to dvd

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi people,

I’m far from a computer geek, more like a computer dummy. Anways thanks for your time and input in advance if any. Okay here’s the deal will try to keep this as short and simple as possible. I have a camcorder with hi8 and tons of tapes I want to make into dvds. I have a plextor dvd/cd burner. Is this all I need? Is it as simple as attaching a usb from camcorder to burner and just burn? Sorry if I sound like a moron but this is my question. Thanks again.

Participant

There are several ways to do this, but using the USB is not one of them.

The easiest way would be to buy a Stand-alone dvd burner. This is just a standard dvd player that hooks to your tv, but it will also record like a vcr. If you can get one of these, you can just hook the av jack from the camcorder to the rca inputs (red-white-yellow) on the dvd burner/player.

If you want to use your computer, it would be best if you can borrow or buy a digital 8 camcorder with a firwire port (IEEE 1394) that can play back Hi8 anolog video. Some digital 8 camcorders can’t play back Hi 8, so just make sure you have one that can. Most digital 8’s will specify this feature. The bad thing is that you can’t usually buy these camcorders in the stores anymore, but you can get them at pawn shops for like 50 bucks.

The other option is to buy an anolog to digital converter (AV to firewire converter)

Eitherway, once you have your camcorder hooked to the computer, you will have to have capturing software. If you have windows, your computer is probable equipted with movie maker which will work just fine.

Once you have the video captured into the computer, you will have to get dvd authoring software. There are many free trials and the options are abundant. You mave have an authoring program on your computer already, like sonic dvd.

Best regards

Participant

Regarding your Hi8 to DVD post this was very helpful thanks. However My Hi-8 camcorder has packed up so I’m sending them off for conversion at this place http://www.video-to-dvd.co.uk Hi8 transfer here. My question is I have some 8mm tapes as well and they charge more for Hi8 so is there an adaptor I could buy for the Hi8 so I can get the cheaper 8mm price. See here for 8mm cost to see what I mean.

Participant

sorry my Hi8 to dvd link didn’t work to show you prices – its here (sorry) Hi8 to DVD

Participant

Ok. I know this thread is old… BUT I am also trying to transfer Hi8 tapes to DVD. I have a stand alone DVD burner, but it does not have the red, yellow, white ports, just the ethernet port. I am looking for a friend who has a camera that will play my tapes. I also own a newer Digital video camera. Can I use my Digital camera as a converter? ie; play Hi 8's on the one camera, record on the digital and THEN transfer to iMac? Dear heavens. This is so complicated but I'm determined to do it myself….

Participant

For transfer by the analog connections, only S-Video should be used, as you'll get the best quality  for both from S-Video to an analog-to-digital converter, such as the Canopus ADVC-100.  For a Digital connection if you can get a Digital8 camcorder (such as the DCR-TRV340) you can convert the Video8 and Hi8 video to digital and ingest it into your computer via firewire. 

Your DVD burner sounds like it is just for hooking up to a computer.  The other posts are talking about DVD recorders that connect to your TV, a completely different device.  I would not recommend using a DVD recorder, as most of the recent ones have only come with yellow composite in, and provide mediocre video quality. 

Participant

Hi pcnut,

I do this kind of work all the time.

If you send me your Hi8 tapes I'll be glad to transfer them to DVD for you.

Len

lenvine20@yahoo.ca

The easiest way to get those 8mm tapes to a DVD is with a stand-alone dvd recorder. If you want to do some VERY rudimentary editing of the content, you can buy a free-standing DVD recorder with built-in hard drive. Dub the 8mm into the internal hard drive, do what simple editing you want to perform ( yes, it IS a PITA ), and burn DVD's from the resulting file. Yes, you should pay careful attention to video connections; ie, if your 8mm camcorder has only a composite video out ( a yellow RCA connector ), your DVD recorder should have the same type of video input connection.

This method avoids a computer plus an analog-to-digital converter plus editing software, etc. A free-standing DVD recorder with built-in hard drive can be purchased for $ 350 to $ 450, will do what you want it to do, and will totally replace that old VHS recorder you use to time manage your TV viewing. 

If your analog 8mm camera provides an output and your digital camera accepts an input in the same format, ie. RCA (Red, White & Yellow pin connectins), then you should be able to "record" your 8mm tape directly to digital format. No burning to DVD is necessary. Check the owners manual for recording.   

Hey John, how much degradation will I expect to go from one machine to another as opposed to going from old analog directly to analog to dv converter card in computer?

Ken, sorry that I missed your post 2 years ago. If the other’s answers have not fully addressed your current question, I offer the following. There are certainly many ways to convert old tape to digital. It boils down to how fanatical you are about results and how much your willing to spend. A friend of mine wanted a copy of an old VHS tape and I offered to digitize it. I used the method I suggested 2 years ago and hooked my VHS player up to my digital camera through the analog input connection using the 3 wire system, Yellow wire for video, red and white connections for audio. The digital copy came out about the same quality as the original, although its color on the original tape replay looked faded from the the years. I took the digital file and ran it through the sharpen, contrast and color corrector in an old Sony Movie Studio program I still use and it turned out better than the faded original. My friend was thrilled. If you need any further help, let us know.

PS, once you’ve corrected the digital file, you can burn it to DVD and it should be good as the original. I forgot to mention that.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Video Reference Monitor Buyer’s Guide

The best video monitors — 2020

We rely on our video monitors to show us an accurate representation of our images throughout the production process. Here are some of the best video monitors currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap