Hi, I’m new and don’t know enough about DV

• This topic has 5 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 10 years ago by AvatarAnonymous.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I also have a question. I have an old Digital8. I’ll continue to have it until I can afford something better. However I plan on using it and want to know if there are an modest techniques to improve its quality in post-production. Filters? General trickery? Digital8 tapes that are of better quality? Etc. I have a Sony trv350.

Thanks in advance.

Participant

nope. once you hit record, you are stuck with the limitations of your camcorder. The most important think you can do after that is maintain the quality of your video. Same goes for high end gear too

For many people, all that means is capturing the footage as the same format as it was recorded, or possibly capturing it as uncompressed, which doesn’t increase quality, but will prevent any further clipping or rounding-off of data. Uncompressed footage is VERY demanding on a computer though. Don’t bother doing it if you don’t have a fast, very fast, RAID.

Estevan,

What Rob said and having been a fan of Pro Hi-8 (I’ve still got a Sony Hi-8 rig on the shelf ready to go) I will say that you can ‘make the format look less bad’ by accepting your camera’s limitations and taking advantage of them.

Digital 8 is a lesser format than Hi-8 but I used to shoot with those cam’s too! You’re going to need a lot of light on your scene and you’ll need a set of Neutral Density Filters (ND 2, ND 4) to help you get a proper exposure especially in a brightly lit daylight scene (your built-in setting won’t be able to handle that.)

Also a set of conversion lenses (wide-angle and a telephoto) will give you more options for the angle of view in your scene. Mind you, you’ll still be working with Standard Definition image ratio of 4×3 so these lenses will not give you ‘widescreen’. However, these few add-ons in your camera kit won’t suddenly turn your imagery into something comparable to DV or any of the flavors of HD. But they will improve the over all look of your footage shot with your camera. You won’t need tricks.

Slightly off topic, but I’d also suggest capturing your footage to your PC at some point–that way you won’t have to worry about keeping tapes safe, etc. Just back up your computer.

My original camera was a modest digital8 and looking back I shot some good stuff with it. I transfered it all to the PC at some point and every once in a while I use it and I’m glad I did.

Inactive

Well, thanks for the advice. I’m not too concerned with attempting to make my digital8 video compare to anything top notch. I’m just curious about dealing with the more abhorrent qualities of the video. However I’ll take into account of the things mentioned here. Thanks.

Estevan,

BTW, if you’re interested in conversion lenses for your camera take a look at Sony’s line of lenses. Find out what size filter your lens will fit and size the conversion lens on that (I do believe the TRV series is 37mm.) Conversion lenses are inexpensive and will help give you more control over the more ‘abhorrent’ qualities of the format. Your basic filter kit should have; 1 Ultra-Violet (UV) this filter should be on at all times to protect your lens, an ND 2, ND4.) If you want something extra, try a Polarizer. Anything else and you start getting gimmicky. you can find Sony conversion lenses at:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ci=2102&N=4294548333+4291560975+4291215468

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

A Lighting Buyer’s Guide

The best lights for video production — 2020

Lighting needs run the gamut, from huge budget productions to small, DIY vloggers, and there’s something for every niche. This article will explain what to think about before buying lights and provide a list of the best video lights currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap