Hi-8 to DVD Looking for best camera as player deck

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion Hi-8 to DVD Looking for best camera as player deck

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I had an old Sony Hi8 V5000 that I shot the kids on when they were little. It conked out some 8 years ago. I was a bit shocked at the prices for a used Hi-8 VCR. I want to transfer the tapes to DVD, I have a Sony stand alone DVD recorder with Firewire. I can pick up an older Digital 8 camcorder for much less than the VCR units.

My question is…. There are many Sony TRV units that I can pick up used. I only want to use it to transfer the older tapes to DVD. Is there any difference in the playback resolution of these digital 8 TRV series camcorders. If so which would you recommend?

Participant

>My question is…. There are many Sony TRV units that I can pick up used. I only want to use it to transfer the older tapes to DVD. Is there any difference in the playback resolution of these digital 8 TRV series camcorders.

No, ultimatelyits just a transfer of digital data.

I would go with a trv 340or 350, both of which can playback analog Hi8 tapes. Becareful of cameras like the trv 280 that can’t playback analog tapes.

Many of the 700-900 models are older cameras but very good compared to other cameras in this series, they just tend to be a little more expensive because the actual retail price was listed at a time when these things were going for 600-800 bucks. If you can find one for a good price…go for it, but the 340 or 350 will be just as good, newer and generally less expensive.

Many of the 200-400models are the new but they don’t seem to be as “solid” as the older ones. They just seem small, cheap, light, and plasticky.

Participant

Thank you so very much. I can’t wait to see the old videos again. The kids are all coming over for Christmas and I thought I’d run the tapes for them. Thanks for the tip on the the 200’s not being able to play back analog….of course there are three on my local craigslist and none that can convert analog. You saved my Butt.

Chris Jackson

Participant

OK, I have a new issue….The old Sony V5000 was a very good camera and had excellent audio tracks. I believe there were two.

Will a Digital 8 camera convert the better quality PCM Hi-Fi track. I am really looking for the best option for the transfer of both the picture and sound tracks. If I need to, I will spend the money on a better unit and resell after the transfer. Any ideas? What specific models. Specifics would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Inactive

To the best of my knowledge, as long as you recorded a PCM stereo track, that’s what you Digital8 camcorder plays back. I believe the Digital8 format only reads the PCM stereo tracks and cannot read the AFI HiFi soundtrack since they are in different locations. But I was unable to locate any information on the signal layout of the Hi8 tape. On VHS decks, the HiFi stereo signal is interspaced between the video signal tracks laid down by the record drum. While the normal audio track ran along the bottom edge of the tape and was read by a separate set of audio heads. Something similar could be done on the Hi8 tape, although I don’t know how the AFI track could be HiFi stereo that way.

Generally, if a camcorder can select between the tracks it will be in the menu as an option. But on the assorted Hi8 and Digital8 camcorders I’ve owned, I’ve never seen an option for AFI audio. The audio format for Digital8 is PCM, so it is most reasonable to assume you will get the PCM signal from your Hi8 tapes.

By the way, the DCR-460 was advertised on Amazon for used, like-new, at around $350. I had a TRV-460 and used it to death, so I can recommend it highly. Both for converting 8mm and Hi8 recordings for Firewire capture and for the AD conversion from the RCA or S-video inputs. And by the way, the Digital8 format records an identical signal to what miniDV camcorders record, but Hi8 tapes are frequently cheaper than miniDV tapes. So you can use the Digital8 camcorder for recording even more memories for posterity.

Good luck with your transfers and don’t forget about pawn shops, they may have a camcorder they want to sell cheap.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best After Effects and motion graphics template sites – 2020

You have the tools needed to create stunning motion graphics, but do you have the time? If not, using motion graphics templates can be a great way to add polish to a production without blowing your deadline.
homicide-bootstrap