Hi-8 Analog Camcorder tapes to DVD

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi,

This is my first post. So far I love the site and amount and quality of the information I see.

I have a couple of dozen Hi-8 analog camcorder tapes, that I want to edit and eventually transform into DVD’s. I want to edit them before making DVD’s to get rid of dead space and junk.

I have read about Pinnacle products, but have been reluctant to purchase any becasue they seem to have too many negative comments. Yesterday, I found ADS Pyro AV Link, but don’t know much about it yet.

Right now I don’t have any hardware or software to do this and was wondering what kind of suggestions I could get from this forum.

After I transform my analog tapes, I will purchase a digital camcorder for future recording.

I’m not trying to do anything fancy, just edit out dead space and junk and burn DVD’s.

Thanks in advance for any information I get.

Inactive

get a mac….macbook, mackbook pro, mac mini, imac ANY mac will have Ilife which has all the tools you’ll need. With a learning curve that’ll have you finished your first dvd by the time some windoze user would get the hardware/software installed.

Participant

Thanks for the responses so far.

I currently have an XP machine and am not currently in the market for a Mac, but appreciate the suggestion.

Is Pinnacle as bad as some people claim it is?

Participant

Hello: in respond to you question about transferring your Hi-8 (or any analog tape), you can do these two things:

1.) Purchase a digital video camcorder that is digital, and before purchasing it, make sure that it has a "record in" option. Most of your $500 + models have this feature, but not all of them, so you definitely want this option. If the camcorder does have this A/V input, then all you have to do is hook up the output of your VCR or camcorder to the input plug on your new digital camcorder. You’ll have to refer to the owner’s manual of the new camcorder, but once you do, you’re now going to be able to transfer all your high-quality analog footage to digital! Once that is done, then you can input this into a program like Pinnacle Studio 10 or the like, and it will capture all this video with no quality loss or degeneration. Also, you will see an annoying line at the bottom when you play the newly-converted footage on your computer. But this will not show up when you convert the video to NTSC or PAL (U.S. and European TV formats). This happens because there are frequency-interlacing problems when you are converting analog to digital. But again, the nice thing is, when it’s transferred to DVD via the video editing software, the line will disappear.

2.) You can do what I did and purchase a nice device from Pinnacle called Dazzle Video Creator Platinum.
      The advantage of this is that you don’t have to waste time copying video onto a digital tape, then downloading it. You can capture the video directly to the Dazzle box and into your new program like Pinnacle. This device can be ordered directly from Pinnacle for $89.00, and it’s well worth the money!!!!!

Both methods are my choice. Good luck, and don’t waste any time. Get that analog footage converted right away.

Steve

Participant

I started with Pinnacle 9 and used the capture card that came with it. I upgraded to Studio 10 which had several more features, but crashed way to many times before you could get a project done. Avid purchased Pinnacle and was trying to send out patches to correct the crashing problem. I have since purchased Avid Liquid 7, for all the extra features it has, but it is far more difficult to learn than Pinnacle Studio was for a novice like me. I still don’t have it figured out and have been trying to get somebody to come over and help me get it working. Check the forums to see if Studio 10 is still having crash problems. If they ever get the bugs out it is a great program for the price, and will do the job for you. One of my friends is using Adobe Premier Elements which is less than $100. Not sure what all it is capable of though.

Inactive

I have Pinnacle Studio 9 Plus and I love it. I am holding off on upgrading to version 10 based on some bugs that need to be worked out. But I love my version 9.

I do not do high-end editing with lengthy clips and fancy effects. I keep it pretty simple. Pinnacle has always worked like a charm for me. I do make sure to use "End it All" to turn off all the bothersome programs running in the background while I use Pinnacle. That seems to keep Pinnacle fairly stable.

Participant

Adding to the options suggested:

I bought the ADS Pyro A/V Link, and Adobe Premiere Elements 1.0 came bundled with it.

My Samsung Hi-8 Analog SCL860 Camcorder plugs into the front of the ADS (via the yellow and white cable which came with the camcorder). Three cables attached to the back of the ADS connects to my computer’s firewire, S-video and audio.

Any Hi-8 tape now records to the computer using the "Capture" facility in Premiere Elements. With Elements I edit the newly transferred video then burn it to a DVD.

Inactive

Do yourself a favor and get a Canopus ADVC 110. It’s easy to use, take it out of the box, plug it in to your firewire port and viola, no drivers to install. Plug your camera up to it, play the tapes and capture them in any program you like. Oh, and it works on both PC and Mac.

John

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best audio editing software for video editors — 2021

Let's look at the best audio editing software currently on the market, then go over the most important features to consider as you shop.
homicide-bootstrap