So the question is, is this to be
      expected, or is there a problem
      with the mic terminal? The camera
      is brand new and everything else
      works (including the headphones).

Any suggestions/insights?

Participant

Starting at the simple…

Your headset mic, does it share the headphoneplug or is it separate (doyou have one plug, or two)?

If it’s one then I do not think it will work. It will cut out the onboard mic as it will open that part of the curcuit to disable it. It will also, most likely, have 4 or 5contacts on the plug (tip, usually ground, 2 or 3bands, one for mic and others for left and right headphone,and the part that enters the “handle”).

If it has 2 separate plugs, are you sure you are not plugging in the headphone instead of the mic?

Inactive

Hi. Thanks for the reply. My headset has two plugs: a red one for the mic, and a green one for the headphones. I am plugging in only the mic.

In the meanwhile I visited a local camera store and asked them about this. They told me that I need to get a mic which has the correct impedance for video work, and that the regular pc mics might not work with the camcorder.I also had a look at the manual; Canon suggests a “condenser microphone with its own power supply”.

Maybe it’s a good idea to start a camcorder mic compatibility thread.

Inactive

I got an Audio Technica lavalier mic for use with the HF200, and it works perfectly. So, basically you need a powered condenser mic for this camera.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best audio and video recorders — 2020

In this article, we’ll cover the best external recorders for both video and audio recording. Then, we’ll go over the specs we considered when making our selections so that you can choose the best recorder for your...
homicide-bootstrap