Help with prosumer purchase, please.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

Hey all.

Ok, so ive read, and read, and read and my head is spinning! I feel like everything I read contradicts the latter. So (andI read the post below this one, and researched all those cams) I washoping for some advice.

Basically, im looking to buy a tapeLESS prosumer cam. Id like it to have good “low light” shooting abilities, and be able to edit in AVCH,MPEG4, or DV. I also love the idea of being able to add on mics, lights, or even change lenses.Yet only the tapeless, and low light quality are “musts”.Im trying to stay around $3000.00 although under would be better.Mainly I shoot events for friends/family but id like to go more professional and actually use my radio and t.v. production degree (from 10 years ago). Of course its been 10 years, and everything i learned doesnt apply anymore. So Im turning to you gurus for advice.

So what do you all think? Any direction you can point me in? Id really apreciate it.

Participant

If very high quality all around, low light quality and tapeless are your biggest “musts” and you can do without many of the readily available manual controls – check out the Panasonic HDC-TM700 for well under $800 does just that. I have 2 Z5Us that I shoot wth ($4000 a piece) and one of Panasonic consumer cams. I have yet to be afraid to grab the Panasonic when I need to grab a fast shot. The quality is THAT good compared to the “pro” cam.

If you want more of the professional look to your shoot, and there are definitely advantages to having all the manual controls at your fingertips, I might look at the Sony HDR-AX2000 – yes it is a bit more than $3000 but for a nice pro camera out there that performs well in low light there are not many options under $3000.

But take my word, the big musts you are looking for, the Panasonic is a nice littel gem.

Hi doublehamm

I saw your post, and checked out that cam already. I did also want more manual control as well as a professional looking cam. I also heard lots of bad things about the Sony AX2000, plus im not a huge Sony fan. You said under 3000 doesnt have a lot of options. What would be the cheapest (above 3000) you would recommend?

Participant

The bad thing about your specs in terms of budget is the set price of $3,000 (and you won’t get much anything better at any price around it. Stricting yourself to that range will make you buy an as-is camcorder and will make you jump through a billion hoola hoops.

$4000+ or you get the HDC-TM700 for $700 (which is a good camera).

Hi XTR-91, well i an open to sugestions. What would be a good camera in the 4000 price range?

Participant

Ifound myself in the same situation. I am of the opinion that the best camera to buy is the Sony HXR NX5U. Priced around $4k. The Pana TM700 is a GREAT starter/backup camera.

Participant

The AX2000 is the NX5Us little brother. I am not sure what was so bad in reviews you have seen in the AX2000, but the NX5 has had quite a strong showing and would be the camera I would buy today if I didn’t have 2 Z5s already.

Participant

The AX2000 has, mainly, sound (onboard mic) problems. Generally speaking the AX2000 has had somewhat cool reviews whereas the NX5 seems to be the next best thing after the EX1/3. The reviews of both, on the B&H site, should provide enough insight.

Participant

To be honest there really is not a camera out there where the built in mic is outstanding. XLR is there for a reason (or even regular mic inputs). The only time I would ever use the on board mic alone is simply for ambient audio.

The guy complaining about files getting split at certain sizes? This happens in all tapeless cams, and Sony ships a utility with the camera (also free online) that stitches these files together and when using this utility, there is NO loss in any frames. My Sony Z5s split at about 4 GB (Every 21 minutes or so), same with the Panasonic at 4 GB. I would assume it would be 4G with the AX2000 as well, but then again I have never used it – and the reviewer stated 2 GB. This is a FAT32 limit, and nothing to do with the camera’s capabilities.

I read BH reviews all the time – and also keep in mind that people with negative experiences are much more likely to put up a review than those that are perfectly happy with it. That is human nature! It is true I also start reading negative reviews first when I look at items, but I also know that the ratio is probably much smaller than what you see there. Sometimes negative reviews come with people who don’t really know what they are doing with a higher end camera in the first place and get frustrated at something that really is user error, and not the camera itself.

Participant

Did you look at the Panasonic HMC-150 in internet searches. From my research on the camera it has good low level light, tapeless, and can be purchased for just under $3000 online.

Luis Maymi LopezLuis Maymi Lopez
      Participant

The Sony AX2000 is a great camera, the only problem is files getting split at around 12 minutes, which can be easily fixed by using the included Sony Content Manage Utility program (its a shame this program does not work on Mac). I agree with Doublehamm “there really is not a camera out there where the built in mic is outstanding”, that’s why you have the XLR to use professional mics and this camera lets you use phantom power mics. I’m very happy with the camera, I had shot some amazing footage with it, not at all disappointed. It took me a while to learn to use all its features, but the Vidiot in me likes playing with that kind of toys.

Participant

I’mguessingmoxyman has already had his answer – but to put my 2p worth in – the Sony NX5 is the camera I would recommend for “low light” tapeless capture. if it fits the budget!

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Canon lenses — 2021

There are a number of Canon lenses on the market for both their DSLR and mirrorless cameras, these are our picks for EF, EF-S and RF mounts.
homicide-bootstrap