Help with missing audio on playback (Panasonic TM-700)

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion Help with missing audio on playback (Panasonic TM-700)

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Hey all. I am hoping for a miracle here, but im sure Ive screwed myself. I was recording with my Panasonic TM-700 and an external mic plugged in. However I forgot to turn on the external mic… and so now there is no audio on play back (when playing on the camera, or when transfering the file to my computer). I was wondering though,is there some setting or something Im just not selecting correct.

I understand if the mic is off then it shouldnt record audio. Butthereason i ask, is because in the past when the external mic has been off the mic on the camera has switched on automatically to record audio. I dont know why that didnt happen this time. So I am hoping that there is just something i am over looking. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Participant

Sorry to say I think you’re hosed. Most of the consumer/prosumer camcorders with a mic input automatically switch from onboard mic to external source the moment a plug is inserted into the mic jack, regardless of whether the mic is on or not. I have a “dummy plug” that I sometimes use for just that purpose. Therefore you recorded silence and that is that. Sorry to deliver that news, but you already knew that in your heart. Been there done that.

A wise mentor once told me to ALWAYS wear headphones when shooting video to make certain I was getting good audio, Just because the meters are moving doesn’t mean it sounds good. I always do monitor when connecting an external mic or wireless, but had gotten lazy when using the onboard mic, because “it will always just work, right?”

I shot a wedding a few years ago and only towards the end of the night did I finally realize that while my camera mic is usually set to AUTO LEVELS which works fine for both wedding and reception normally, the camera was in fact set to MANUAL from a previous shoot. Took a LOT of labor in post to fix all the levels that I could, and dub in replacement music for dance segments that were completely blown out. Lesson learned. Sorry this happened to you and hope it is not career-ending.

Jeff

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best royalty-free music and sound effects sites – 2021

Music and sound effects are a crucial part of any film or video project. Using royalty-free stock music in your next project is one way to cut costs without sacrificing quality.
homicide-bootstrap