Help with getting the best semi-pro camcorder

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Hernesson
      Participant

Hi there : )
      I am looking into upgrading into HD from mini DV. I have a Canon Xm2 which is a really lovely video camera. I was wondering what to go for and thought maybe some of you guys on here can help? This website is really useful and I bet the magazine is great! We have nothing like this over here in the UK right now.

What I want is a main semi-pro camera and a smaller consumer camera with good HD to use as a static shot (using a MF to set the focus) for filming stuff on stage like music acts. With the semi-pro I also want to make short films/videos for my own creative exploration and documetry film to sell. For the semi pro I want to spend less than 2000. Perhaps 500 or so for the consumer one.

I checked out the reviews and the Panasonic AG-HMC41 fhd looks good. I also have seen another Panasonic on sale the “Panasonic AG-HMC81 / AG-HMC82 / AG-HMC84 professional AVCCAM HD shoulder-mount camcorder” the review for the HMC80 was pretty good on the website . . .

I would really appriciate hearing from people in this matter, thanks : )

XTR-91
      Participant

I really like the Panasonic AG-HMC80 (U.S. model), and the HDC-TM700 (U.S.) – which I have.

They shoot great HD, if you can handle the AVCHD video.

Hernesson
      Participant

Hi : )

out of the two which do you find to be the best and what are their strong/weak points?

Do you know how they compare to other similarly priced models from other makes like sony and canon?

Harlin
      Participant

My suggestion, As I am in the same process, work backwards…Get the software you plan on using and then upgrade your computer to at least an I7PC or mac if you have money to burn πŸ™‚ and make sure you can edit avchd. Its very cpu hungry. I started with a small consumer HD and all works fine. My first blu ray disc was a short vacation I taped/captured? while the consumer camera was still returnable. Now Im up to looking for the big dollar camera. Already sold one dv cam and the other is onebay now. Good Luck..

Harry

Hernesson
      Participant

Well I am have final cut express, but gonna upgrade to the pro edition. The guys in the local mac shop reckon that both the models of mac I have can handle avccam hd. I have an imac of about 2yrs old and an up to date 17″macbook pro. So I should be good for the HD. I do like the idea of a dual format recorder, seeing comments on this in the forum got me thinking, but I prefer to get the full hd for my outlay and not interlaced . . . so no HDV . . . the panasonic PS cards sound far to pricey for my liking to! its difficult to get a real handle on whats what and whats best. I do know that the DSLR video cameras are out, tho I read in a book their video is great for depth of field-just read a bit from the moderator on another thread and to get the best you need to spend on accessories and that negates the lesser price tag apparently!

amyspiteri

Hey i also am looking into buying a new cam and as my budget is around 1000 euros was thinking of the canon hfs 200. do you have any opinions on this cam?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

Camera Support Buyer's Guide

The best advanced camera support for video β€” 2021

While the camera will always be at the core of your production setup, using the best camera support is vital in getting smooth cinematic shots.
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN