Help with connecting TV to PC as a reference monitor

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing Help with connecting TV to PC as a reference monitor

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi everyone. I’m new here – hello!

I think my problem is probably quite easy to figure out, but I’m afraid I’m having an extended blonde moment. I’m running Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 on a PC with Windows XP and I’ve never connected a TV or editing monitor to my computer before – but this is what I want to do. I have a normal 4:3 colour TV that I wish to view the final edits on (…so I’m supposing that somehow this needs to correspond with the right-hand monitoring window in Premiere Pro?). How would I go about connecting all of this up and what would I need to achieve this? Is this related to what graphics card I have? I’m using a rather outdated Radeon 9550. I’m not sure if this is relevant. <span>I can’t seem to find any diagrams that explain the
      process in simple terms.</span>

Any help would be great for you folks. Thank you.

Participant

I use the ADS Pyro A/V Link to connect my TV so I can view editing in Premiere.

You need something that connects via Firewire πŸ˜‰

Inactive

You can also connect it with your camcorder

Participant

If you want to tie up your camcorder that way, I choose to use the Pyro Link instead.

Participant

Monitoring video on a Standard TV is almost always misleading. I’ve had experience connecting my camcorder A/V to a TV adding picture noise. Using S-Video is better, but does not seem to render full quality either. You probably won’t have to worry if you are using an HDTV or video monitor. Given here is the definition of a true color video monitor: http://www.videomaker.com/learn/introduction/monitors/

Experimenting is always the best way to find out. If your computer and TV use S-Video, simply connect with a standard S-Video cable. Or, if your computer does not have S-Video, you’d probably look for a VGA (monitor) to S-Video cable. If S-Video is not an option on your TV, you should look at getting a VGA (or S-Video) to RCA converter instead. Also realize that standard TVs have a seemingly tiny resolution of 320×240, so there will be a loss in pixel display.

Participant

When working with SD video it is always best to have an actual TV monitor to work with along with at least 2 computer monitors.

The TV monitor will let you see what the video will actually look like when viewed in its final form.

It also helps when adding titles or anything that may run out of the safe zones. I wouldn’t be able to edit without my TV monitor 8)

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap