Help with Church Video

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I want to say thank you in advance for anybody that takes the time to give me feedback.

I attend a church of about 300. I have only been a member for a few months. I noticed they they have a antique camcorder and they record the services on a vhs tape as well as a cassette tape and distribute them as needed. Recently the Pastor asked me if I could help them out because they would like a better quality video that they can then sell to members on DVD instead of VHS. So here I am…

Currently we have Songshow Plus 7 that we use for our projection. We also have the live feed of the camera that goes to the projector as well. They then use a switch to go back and forth on the feed from either the computer with songshow to the live camera feed. So here is where I need advice:

What kind of main live feed camera should I use? (The audience is dark, but we have great stage lighting)

Would a decent digital camcorder that I have now work as a second feed ok?

How many angles should I go for, and what angles should I use?

How far away max should the camera be?

How should I go about recording between the two? A switch or record to both of them and record to a external hard drive or computer or record on tape and then take both tapes and put them on my mac and cut from one feed to the next as needed?

What I have:
      Wireless Lapel mic so I can get a great audio of the service
      A decent Sony Digital Cam for a secondary angle
      Macbook pro with Final Cut Express
      Windows Computer that runs the Songshow software
      Lots of eager volunteers to help out
      A very limited budget, but i want to know what it will cost to look good so I can get a greater budget as needed…fingers crossed.

Thank you all for any help you provide me. I read several other topics that are like this, but each one has a different story. I look forward to hearing from anybody willing to help.

Brad

Participant

Hey Brad –

I’m sure a lot of folks who are better suited than I will join in here but one thing I can point you at is a company called Digital Juice – Thye have some very nice assets you could use in adding to the videos you would be producing.

Check out:

http://www.digitaljuice.com/products/products.asp?pid=22
      http://www.digitaljuice.com/products/products.asp?pid=161
      http://www.digitaljuice.com/products/products.asp?pid=234
      http://www.digitaljuice.com/products/products.asp?pid=210
      http://www.digitaljuice.com/products/products.asp?pid=203
      http://www.digitaljuice.com/products/products.asp?pid=101

They regularly have specials (currently they have a Mix-n-Match of 10 for $249 with extra goodies) so the prices are not always full retail.

I use their stuff and it has really made my editing much easier and better.

Good luck!

Bruce

Inactive

HI,

the average church will have 3 cameras. (there are 3 levels, pro broadcast like Joel Olsten(whom is powered by me), the average we barely can afford to do this, and we have no money) i am mostly talking about the middle one)

the majority will use something like Newtek tricaster.
      http://www.newtek.com

the average church will have Canon Xl2 or better. we are seeing alot buying the newer HDV cams, which is kinda funny as most of the lighting in these chruches (including mine) is horrid and the back drop causing washout.
      the biggest issue with using less quality cams is Zoom. as well as when you pan as the distance gets farther its noticeable.

you can record multiple cams to tape and then edit later.
      this is tedius and time consuming and will burn out most volunteers in short time.
      its best to have a switcher or some sort (thats why i like the tricaster as it is a swticher as well as recording system and editing)
      that way what you see on the projector is what you will get in the video.
      plus the switcher will allow you to "overlay" songshow on the video for the projector but not record it on to the video.
      its cool to fade in and out the cams with songshow as you focus on the worship band or crowd.
      plus you will want to toss in lower 3rds.

Scott
      ADK

Inactive

compusolver Wrote:

I don’t know anything about live camera feeds, but be sure and have a shotgun mic on the crowd so you can blend in audience reaction audio (with the reaction video) at appropriate times. This will make your video much less two-dimensional.

Thats a great idea…currently I have done a couple of recordings with a wireless lapel on Pastor, but that crowd noise is lots so its like he is preaching to a empty church. Thanks for the suggestion.

Inactive

jcschild Wrote:

HI,

the average church will have 3 cameras. (there are 3 levels, pro broadcast like Joel Olsten(whom is powered by me), the average we barely can afford to do this, and we have no money) i am mostly talking about the middle one)

the majority will use something like Newtek tricaster.
      http://www.newtek.com

the average church will have Canon Xl2 or better. we are seeing alot buying the newer HDV cams, which is kinda funny as most of the lighting in these chruches (including mine) is horrid and the back drop causing washout.
      the biggest issue with using less quality cams is Zoom. as well as when you pan as the distance gets farther its noticeable.

you can record multiple cams to tape and then edit later.
      this is tedius and time consuming and will burn out most volunteers in short time.
      its best to have a switcher or some sort (thats why i like the tricaster as it is a swticher as well as recording system and editing)
      that way what you see on the projector is what you will get in the video.
      plus the switcher will allow you to "overlay" songshow on the video for the projector but not record it on to the video.
      its cool to fade in and out the cams with songshow as you focus on the worship band or crowd.
      plus you will want to toss in lower 3rds.

Scott
      ADK

Scott,
      Thanks for the info. I am going to have trouble coming up with 5k for the tricaster. Do you know of any cheaper solutions that are similar? Maybe for now I should invest in the cameras and edit tape by tape until I have the funding for the tricaster. So you would recommend going with the GL2 for my solution? Thanks!

Brad

Inactive

HI Brad,
      without the tricaster (which is a computer and switcher and software in 1)

i would at least look into a switcher. is the intended computer for this use powerful enough?

yes the gl will be fine

SCott

Inactive

jcschild Wrote:

HI Brad,
      without the tricaster (which is a computer and switcher and software in 1)

i would at least look into a switcher. is the intended computer for this use powerful enough?

yes the gl will be fine

SCott

Scott,

I have a brand new Macbook pro I was hoping to use with it. I have Final Cut Express that I would like to use. I have recorded some services with one camera and added cool titles and stuff with Livetype and edited it all in Final Cut Express.
      2.16 Intel Core Duo
      2 Gb Ram
      External Firewire 800 500gb HD

What would you recommend as a good switcher? And do they make a less expensive one for just 2 cameras? Something under $800 would be great. I have tried to do a lot of research but there are so many opinions out there its hard to find what I need so I really appreciate your help Scott.

Brad

Inactive

HI Brad,
      unfortunately i don’t deal in analog switchers so i cant help. everything i sell is computer based.
      i guess just google it. the only ones i know of are very expensve like the grass valley indigo or edirol.

Scott

Inactive

I am in a similar situation as you. I just returned to my hometown church after 9 years in the military, and am pretty much starting our video ministry from the ground up. We currently use 3 Sony consumer-grade (1 mini-DV and 2 Hi8) camcorders switched with a Videonics MX-1 mixer. We record straight to DVD and VHS. We also get our sound piped straight from the church’s sound system. We feel that our current quality is almost good enough to submit to the local cable channel, with our main problem being color balancing between different cameras, and the fact that our pulpit is white on a backround of dark green carpet and chairs.

If you don’t go with a live-switched recording, then definately invest in a hard-drive storage device for each camera. Hardware wise, our needs are to upgrade to better cameras (we are looking at Sony VX2100’s b/c of their superior low-light capability), and get video amps in place of our current splitter set-up (for sending the signal to the DVD recorder and VCR’s.)

We don’t currently do audience reaction shots (due mostly to a few technical and financial issues), but a few members have voiced concern that they DO NOT want to be on camera. You may want to consider this in your plans, too.

Participant

This is interesting stuff.

I got asked to do church video last fall. I use the church’s 1 Hi-8 camcorder that runs a line to wireless mics.
      It goes to 3 VHS recorders. 1 angle, but it gets the job done. Because I have been doing the church video, I just got hired to help out with 2 wedding videos over the summer.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Choosing the Right Lens: The Ultimate Guide

The best lenses for video — 2020

Lenses are key to making your favorite camera create the images you envision. These are the best lenses for video available today.
homicide-bootstrap