Help with building custom Editing Computer.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

A very good friend of mine (getting a degree in Computer Engineering.)is going to build me a custom computer. It is gonna cost a hell of a lot less then any from a brand. And obviously I want it specifically for editing, and other video/film tasks.

My friend is a very smart tech guy, where I am not. So he raddled off names of video cards, sound cards, etc. that are top of the line for gaming mostly. But he knows nothing about Video Editing computer equipment, and I don’t either. So I was wondering if I could get some help from the community.

What should I get for a great video editing computer? what kind of Video Card, Sound Card, or any other cards that will aid in video editing. As well as what Media drives should I get, etc. If you could build your own system, what would you want in it as a video profesional?

Thanks to all.

Franko,

This very topic has been discussed in detail enough to give you a good idea of what you may need or are looking for. Look in the ‘To Build or Not to Build’ thread in the ‘Editing’ section. If you have any direct questions to ask me specifically, please post them in that thread. Don’t sweat it though, there are tons of others in the forums who can point you in the right direction too.

Participant

http://www.johnrofrano.com/pcequipment.htm

Participant

I think JR used to have qualms about building a Core i7, because there appeared to be some earlier hyperthreading issues. But he no longer has qualms about that, and for building a new machine he recommends a core i7.

I would write to him with questions. He is a humble guy, and will try to help.

Inactive

I know you are wanting a response from the professionals so I hope you don’t take this as being rude but this is what I’m running as a hobbyist for a bottom of the bucket reference point.

I do very low budget tech videos for my automotive website. My existing home computer wasn’t even capable of movie editing so I had a budget of $500 to buy a camera and upgrade my old computer for the editing.

I’m running an Asus P5QL Pro board with 2GB of ram and a 2.8 GHz P4 HT processor. The hard drive I’m using is a 350Gb 7200rpm drive and I originally had an EVGA e-GeForce 8600 GTS video card. With this setup on premiere v7.0 it took between 1-2 minutes to render video in the default Microsoft DV AVI format, whatever that is (I’m not a video buff) converting it to MPEG2 for youtube took about an hour to render a 5 minute video. I later upgraded to a GeForce 9600 GT video card (had an issue with the 8600 I received), since I built the computer to upgrade later and everything was being limited by the processor and it’s buss speed I overclocked it to 3.6 GHz and the rendering times dropped by about 1/3rd would have dropped more if I upgraded the processor but I needed another vid card while the old one was in for warranty and decided to not go with a lower powered one.

Make sure that the power supply you select is capable of providing the amperage your video card needs, just because it provides the wattage doesn’t mean the rail will power the video card.

Participant

Thanks everyone for your help. I appreciate any and all input from everyone. I will check out the suggested sites and previous forum posts. Thanks everyone.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap