Help with an intro to an Instructional Video..

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I’m 16 and I live in Lodi California, I used to be in the most advanced communication technology class in any High School in Northern California (something like that but I’m not really sure) and I’m not trying to be cocky or anything but everyone told me I had a talent for editing, including the teacher. Some of my work was shown to the higher class so the teacher could say "a sophmore made this" just to motivate them to do better lol. Now I am attending a different school but I still have a passion for making videos!
      I have been lurking around here for a while but I finally decided to join and post a topic, sorry if that seems selfish lol!
      I finally got a serious big time job, I am filming an instructional video for The National Guard and I want to do the best possible job on it with the equipment provided. First thing we’re going to shoot is the intro! I’ve seen the place (today =]) and It’s a huge hangar with a few buildings and about 10 helicopters and I am still trying to imagine a decent, high-energy type intro with shots of everything! I need some creative ideas about shooting the video because I don’t want to have boring camera movements. I was told that they can move the helicopters in a specific spot if I needed but I don’t know if we could actually get shots from an aerial p.o.v., which I kind of doubt.
      Does anyone have any tips at all on shooting, or the type of equipment to use to get the maximum quality from this type of video?

Participant

Hi,

Wella wella wella, doing a job for the Govt. You may think you are in charge of this project, but dont get overexited just in case you are not at all in charge of this project. Work with your Govt contact in pre-production, every step of the way every chance you get. Unless things have changed radically since my day, they will want the Commander to do a little intro at the beginning. Be prepared for that. You may want to wrangle a teleprompter or improvise a substitute, e.g., large print talking points on a flip chart pad. Often best to do the intro in the Cdr office, unless the Cdr is very hip with talking to media while in the hanger environment. In general, I would suggest opening credits with operations noise (flying planes or choppers) on S.T. with martial music, maybe some planes flying overhead in slo-mo with overlaid credits. Next, the Cdr speaks. Then perhaps a montage of 30-60 seconds of several activities with fast paced editing, including emphasis on activity which is subject of the training topic. It is most important that your piece communicates clearly. Hopefully, they will provide some articulate people to do the talking, and that they are ones actually performing the tasks subject of your piece. It is most important that your piece communicates clearly. (I know I said that already.) More important than that your piece be exciting or not boring. Go for both of course, clarity and drama. Id suggest noisy/exciting at the beginning, as described earlier; and at the end. Whatever your ideas, be prepared for anything at those pre-production meetings, and go along for the experience and the ride.

If you get in the GSA catalog, a very good thing potentially producing a nice income flow, remember that every job you do will be subject to uncensored written feedback in the catalog from your clients.

Take care and best of luck!

TOM 8)

Inactive

Hard to say without knowing who the ‘audience’ is going to be, but I would go with a lot of low-angle shots of the helicopters and what not to make everything look ‘cool’.

Best bet is to watch the military commercials and get some ideas from those for your intro.

Inactive

Thanks for all the feedback, sorry I forgot to mention that the video is an instructional video on how to order parts correctly. The entire process can get pretty dirty if there is one small error, and these errors are very common so they want to make an exiting video to teach the mechanics and anyone else working at the base how to properly and efficiently order parts.

The process seems pretty simple, the audience is the group of mechanics that work at each of the three or four bases in California.

I just want this to be a great video so it can open more doors for me in the future =]

Inactive

I would go with the "cool" look for the intro, just to grab them.

Then I would show what the video is about (incorrect orders), and show what happens when the orders are wrong.

Then you can do the boring stuff…a step by step video of how to properly order something.

HTH!

Inactive

Thanks!
      Does anyone have any suggestions equipment wise? I don’t want to forget anything! Anything you think will benefit the video =]

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap