Help using a Zoom H4n

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I picked up a H4n a few weeks ago and I am having a hard time getting quality sound from of it. I have tried running my lav mic into it but the audio tends to clip. I’ve tried setting the record level but it’s either to low or clips. I tried running xlr and/or 1/4 inch from a sound board to the inputs but all i get is clipping no matter what I do.

How do you use the H4n? How do set it up? What settings work for you?

I use the Zoom H4N all the time. my set up is that I get the sound from the EVENT sound board and input it in MY sound board (Mackie 1642-vlz3) c/w the extra mic(s) that I may require. my soundboardOUT is set to MIC and I use the to outputs to connect to the H4N.

My H4N setting are:

– set to stereo Recording WAV 24 bit 96khz (sometimes to MP3 320Kbps)

– during the sound check, I set the recording volume to unity on MY sound board and to 0 db on the H4N then I go back and adjust My sound board to -6db and monitor the sound board during the event.

– I always use the AC power

works for me every time…

hope this helps

if you require more info I can verify when I get back to the studio tonight

Robert

Participant

I use several all the time and have never a problem. Make sure you have all the settings within spec. My settings are pretty much the same as Robert’s above.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap