Help to a Newbie

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I’m new to the world of filming. I found this site and was hoping I can get some advice from users. I have a canon gl2 with the MA-300 XLR adapater. Can I run a shotgun mic on the left channel and a audio technica wireless mic on the right channel. Will I get sound on tape picked up from the shotgun mic and sound from the wireless mic?

Thanks for your feedback on this question to a newbie on the adventure of learning a new hobby of filming.

Your GL2 has separate L/R manual audio controls. Your adaptor allows for separate input to both/either/or channels. Based on that engineering you are able to record two separate and distinct audio sources one onto the right channel, the other onto the left channel.

In reality, for reasons beyond my engineering comprehension or ability to explain, there will occasionally be some bleeding of the L audio input across to the R, and R across to the L. On the occasions when I’ve done this I’ve nearly always experienced this situation.

Perhaps someone of a more sophisticated level of engineering knowledge can explain why this happens, or even if it is possible to totally and completely isolate the L/R inputs in some way.

So, based on my experience: yes, you can record separate channels. I’ve not been able to totally isolate L/R inputs using different mics and different audio sources and have a distinctly crisp, clean, clear separate audio track for each source.

Participant

Earl,

Thanks for your information. I look foward to learning more from this site. It seems to be full of information and people with all kinds of experienc.

Participant

yes i am also new here and find this site very informative and also members are really cooperative.

Participant

AC power is goint to broadcast to a certain extent from all audio cables until it makes contact to ground or negative. Unbalanced cables (particularly longer ones) are more suspectible to interference. L/R wires that are interwoven so closely that they are more suspectible to do this.

Participant

Unintentional Story: Hey i am trying to pull off a effect i am not sure i can. How does one record an image through a tv/cpu screen as if the subject is typing and the letters appear on screen from behind the tv/cpu screen

if you understand what i am trying to do and have any suggestions or links that could help me out it would be greatly appreciated!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap