Help! Shot miniDV with HDV camera and can’t playback on miniDV camera

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion Help! Shot miniDV with HDV camera and can’t playback on miniDV camera

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hello,

Would love some pro advice. I’m shooting on a Canon XH A1 but using miniDV tapes in the camera to save budget. However, the HDV camera is borrowed and I can’t use it to screen and digitize my footage. When I try to play one of the miniDV tapes on my miniDV camera, Sony TRV900 (a prosumer camera) it does not play. The timecode doesn’t even register.

Please help! Thanks so much!

Regoldbe

Participant

what format did you record when you were using the Canon? If you recorded HD, then you can’t play it back in a regular DV camera.

Inactive

My shooter says he shot it in miniDV mode rather than HDv mode. Is there something else that could be causing the problem? Thank you so much for your help.

Inactive

have your shooter (or camera shop) double-check the tape’s mode

Participant

It’s possible that HDV camcorders record in aseperate digital tape format, whether the HDV camera is shooting HD or Standard Definition. If possible, try to see if you can borrow the camcorder again and import the video.

Inactive

Yeah I agree with XTR. I know that Canon in particular are known for “not playing well with others.” I have a JVC gy-HD110u and the same thing happens regardless of whether the canon is an HV30 or an XH A1s (i think that’s what it’s called). I don’t know what advice I can give, but I have been there and I know how much it sucks, I hope you get it sorted

Participant

You could always just send it out for conversion (https://thephotoarchivalco.com/video_quote.asp does this for $16) and then to edit just use the MPEG-2 files (VOB) from the disc or capture from the disc.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best video monitors — 2021

We rely on our video monitors to show us an accurate representation of our images throughout the production process. Here are some of the best video monitors currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap