Inactive

Hello,

Forgive my amateurish post. However I am a beginner in need of
      help. I have access to both a Sony GL1 camcorder and also a small
      JVC GZ-HD3 HD camcorder. I’m attempting to make a dramatic short
      that will be uploaded to the internet (youtube, openfilm, etc) and also
      burned to dvd. To all of you with intermediate – Professional
      experience, (all other nuances, lighting, etc) which camcorder would
      you use (based off of the cameras stats/reputations if any)…

Thanks in advance,

BC

Participant

The first question to ask: Do you have a computer capable of editing HD video? If you have a normal run-of-the-mill editing workstation, then shoot SD with the GL1.

Personally, I would use the GL1 anyway, just for the manual control options, but I don’t know what your camera knowledge and skill levels are.

Sony makes a GL1? I thought that was Canon’s nomenclature, and the Canon GL1 has been replaced (for some years now) with the GL2. I could be all wet, but I cannot find a Sony model GL1.

If it IS in fact the Canon GL1 (preferably GL2) I’d also go with that camera due to its magnificent optical stabilization, GREAT glass (lens) and a host of manual controls.

Try to Google search for Sony GL1 and you will see not only your request here listed, but will mostly be directed to Canon GL1, not Sony – there is a comparison of the Canon GL1 and the Sony TRV900.

Inactive

Sorry all, I tried to correct this in another post. it is indeed the Canon GL1. Thanks for your responses. BC

Inactive

Regarding my skill level, Beginner would be an over statement. I’m using final cut express hd 3.5.1 on a mac- 1.83 core 2 duo with 2 gigs of ram. I have very minimal gear, & knowledge but I am using online tutorials and communities to get my feet wet. I’m very motivated to get some work accomplished so any/all advice is welcome. thanks in advance.

I would use the GL1 if THAT and the JVC (even though it’s HD) were my ONLY choices – better glass. A shame you cannot access at least a GL2, though, and try to find a way to upgrade cameras as soon as you can. Your system will handle basic editing, of course, but you may have some wait times on rendering if you do much more than cuts editing. Not that THAT’s a problem as cuts are the primary tool of most commercial movies to go from scene-to-scene.

Inactive

OK cool. Thanks EarlC. I may be in the market for slight camera upgrade in a month or two. The camera will still be a older model like an XL2 but we’ll see when the time and $$$ is right. Right now, I’ll do a little bit of practicing. I figure, if I play around a little bit with what I have access to, it will let me know what I actually need, and, or I’m looking for. Thanks for the help.

Inactive

Hello,

I was recently fortunate enough to auction off
      the used gl1 at a reasonable enough price to win a gl2 and add a few
      bucks to it. I’m waiting for the gl2 to arrive now. Thanks for the
      advice. The jvc never came so that kind of fell in my favor as, the
      no-show camcorder will pay for the price difference of the gl1/2. I
      have another question however. What do you think of the XL1 as it
      relates to the GL2? I know the XL2 would be ideal and that’s my goal
      for a camera at this point. However, because the xl1 tend to be half
      the price of the xl2, I was wondering how it would compare to the GL2
      model. Would it make sense to just stay with the GL2? Would a trade
      to the XL1 from the GL2 actually be a downgrade? What if I were able
      to have the xl1 and gl2, but still not afford the xl2? Please advise…

Thanks in advance,

BC

In SD environment work, stay with the GL2, not the XL models XL1, XL1S or XL2. You won’t regret it. Sure, there’s a boatload of opinions on “my camera is better than yours” threads, but personal experience has brought me NO regrets regarding my GL2 – cannot say the same about my pair of XL1 units.

Inactive

Thanks again Earl

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap