HELP ME!! (I’m new to all this)

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

About two months ago I purchased a Panasonic VDR-D100, my first camcorder. I purshased it with the plan of being able to eventually edit the video on a computer. That is where my problem begins! I can not get the video exported into either the Mac’s editing software, or Adobe Premier on a PC. If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it.

Inactive

What sort of camera is that? Is is DVD, or solid-state? ‘Cause if so, you got yourself into a lot of trouble. You should have stuck to tape.

Participant

Like svhs said your in some trouble because it is a DVD based camera. These cameras are made for people who just want to shoot and put the dvd in the player and play. Not for people who want to edit. I wish I could tell you something else but usually the only software that will work is the software that comes with the camera. I have no experience with dvd cameras but I don’t know of a single piece of decent software that will support capture from your camera. DV (and now HDV) cameras are what you want. Any software worth its salt will support these formats.

Inactive

Thank you for the help. It appears that I should have researched the ability to edit by computer a little futher.

If anyone happens to know if there is software that could make it possible to edit with Adobe, I would appreciate it. For future reference, what should be my next means of media?

Inactive

MiniDV is usually the best option.

Inactive

For now, find a friend with a DV camcorder that has video in. Record your DVD footage to the DV camcorder. Use that DV camcorder to import your footage. I won’t be perfect, but you can recover what you already shot.

Inactive

Good advice. You’ll lose a little quality, but not as much as if you started to edit the mpeg files.

You might even be interested in buying one of those adapter boxes, where you plug your composite ("RCA") outputs from the camera into it, and it outputs on firewire into your computer. Again, you get that quality drop, but it will be edit-able, and better than trying to edit the DVD’s.

Inactive

On a Roll, what sort of video qaulity loss could I expect with the converter box? I’m not looking for professional qaulity video since I’m just getting in to video recording.

I do appreciate all the help though, it will greatly aide me in my next camcorder purchase.

Inactive

It would be about the same as if you copied a VHS tape onto your computer. Because you’re transfering your AV signal to the converter via an analog connection, you’ll get analog image quality loss, but it will be nowhere near as bad as if you tried to edit the files created on DVD.

This isn’t the end of the world. You won’t produce Cinematic masterpeices, but on the same note, the image will still be acceptable for home use.

Good luck to you, and if you have any more questions, just ask!

Inactive

I think Pinnacle Studio (current version is 10) will import DVD content for editing. Here’s what their web site says:

"Studio 10 can import the video from DVD cameras. Studio cannot capture from these devices since they are not seen by Windows as capture devices like DV camcorder are.

In order to do this you will need to use the DVD Import feature of Studio rather than capturing the video in the Capture tab. First, take the DVD from the camcorder and place it into your DVD drive in your computer. Then you can import the video directly into Studio in the Edit mode using the Import DVD Titles feature."

There are further instructions in the web site for importing.

Participant

I have sony vegas 6d and with it you can just go to Import>DVD camcorder Disc and it will import the whole dvd onto your hard drive. But you probably don’t want to spend $600 on another editing program.

I dont know if you can do this with DVD cameras, but can you put the disc in your computer and go to the disc properties then copy the files on to your hard drive

Nick

Inactive

Right. The only way to avoid the MPEG motion blur image loss is to use your composite outputs to transfer the video out of your camera. Of course, by doing that, you trade off the mpeg motion blur for the lower overal quality of composite connections.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap