help: how do i get clear resolution on DVD?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Please help. I have resolution issues. When you connect a mini DV direct to your TV set to playback, you get very acceptable resolution. But after editing and I burn my projects to DVD the resolution is not so flattering. Its some what pixelated. What could I be doing wrong? Some people think its acceptable but its not to a videomaker! I edit in Pal with 25 frames per second, default settings. The resolution is also better when I play back into my camera and out through a TV set. I can overcome the problem by recording directly with a DVD recorder during playback on Adobe Premier, but that means I cannot impress with fancy menus for the DVD. Please help!

Inactive

Before any video can be recorded onto a DVD it MUST be converted to MPEG2. The fact that your DVD plays in a DVD player means that the application you used to make the disc did this for you. However, it used a default setting which is more than likely the culprit. You’ll have to dig around inside your DVD application to locate where the setting are and how to change them. Never set the video bitrate to more than 7MBps. Up to 7MBps is ok but any higher and the disc could skip while playing (too much data and the player may not be able to keep up). If there’s a quality adjuster, set it to max. Be sure to use quality blank DVDs (-R is preferred over +R). VBR (variable bitrate) will generally provide a smaller file size (depending on the content of the video). I use VBR exclusively but some may argue that CBR (Constant bitrate) is better for playback. A 2-pass transcoding will obviously take longer but does tend to provide a slightly better picture and smaller file size. Try this and see if it helps.

Participant

Hey KKMAC

Thanks a lot for your response. I will give your solution a go and hopefully get the best video resolution i can. later.
      Man-KC

Inactive

How much info are you trying to put onto a DVD? I’ve discovered that about 2 hours of video is where you’ll really start to notice quality degradation. Usually, if I have around two hours or more of final product, I’ll split it into a 2 (or more) disc set, which allows me to keep the quality higher than if I just tried to shoehorn all that data onto one disc.

I also agree with the above posts, 7Mbps one or two pass is good stuff for quality.

The other alternative is that your editing software is somehow butchering the video quality as it’s being imported, though the default settings should be fine if you’re using premiere.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

How to buy a camera — 2020

While we have more options and more technology than ever before; buying a new camera has never been more difficult. It’s not just that there are dozens of cameras to choose from, it’s that each one offers...
homicide-bootstrap