Help converting mpg to avi files

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I have a bunch of mpg clips that I need to convert to avi so that I can edit in Premiere. I tried Winavi, which seems to covert, but when I try to import into Premiere I get a message that says “premiere doesn’t recognize the codec”. The codec in Winavi is DivX 5.+. If someone can help me with this I would appreciate it.

Incidentally, I used AimOne to try to convert (DivX codec also) and Premiere imported it but no audio came through. If anybody knows about this problem I would also be most appreciative for your guidance.
      wbcarey@cox.net

Participant

You can use QuickTime Pro to convert your MPEG1 files to AVI files.

Visit apple’s website to get it.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

It’s available for MAC and PC.

Cost is 29.99

Inactive

Freeman:
      I captured these mpeg files with MyDvd, in mpeg-2 format. Will the Quick Time program you recomend handle this?
      The codec business is driving me nuts. What codec does the Quick Time program use?

Participant

Yes, Codecs are confusing. Whether it works or not really depends on if it is a stand-alone MPEG2 which is able to be used outside of MyDVD. You might have to just purchase QuickTime Pro and the MPEG2 component to try it.

Here’s a link to info about codecs. http://www.apple.com/quicktime/products/qt/specifications.html

Inactive

You can edit MPEG files in Premier….. Premier will edit in either MPEG or AVI form. The question is, what are you doing with the files after editing?
      I you edit AVI files in Premier and then take them to Encore DVD or whatever else you use to burn the DVD that process will transcode them to MPEG files at that point anyway. I have edited MPEG files with Premier and then burned DVD’s with Roxio Easy CD/DVD Creator or Sonic My DVD and they work just fine. You shouldn’t have to re-convert them to anything in that process….

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best video monitors — 2021

We rely on our video monitors to show us an accurate representation of our images throughout the production process. Here are some of the best video monitors currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap