HELP! Can’t find one camera with all the features I need…

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Cameras and Camcorders Consumer Camcorders HELP! Can’t find one camera with all the features I need…

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

I’ve been trying for days to find a camera with these features:

1. Small
      2. Mic input
      3. Wireless or wired remote zoom, or LANC input
      4. Under $400

SD or HD does not matter to me. The Canon FS200 comes close, but has no remote zoom. Likewise, I’ve seen Sony models with the zoom but no mic input. If the camera has a LANC input, I could buy a remote zoom.

Anyone know of one that combines all the above features?

Thanks for any help!

Mark

EarlC

Let us know when you find one, especially for less than $400. And especially one that generates an image you can do something with other than simply capturing home video.

XTR-91
      Participant

Not many of them, other than invest in an older camcorder.

Google betacam (or VHS), pick one, and then research to see if it has a mic input, and LANC.

XTR-91
      Participant

The FS200’s got a LANC port,

and I don’t see why you couldn’t get something to zoom

EarlC
      D0n
      Participant

I’ve experimented with building inexpensive robot camera platforms.

one thing I found that can work as an inexpensive controller… instead of a lanc….

I took an old sony ir remote, cracked it open de-soldered the ir led off the board, and soldered in a 16 inch length of jumper wire between the board and the led.

This allows me to mount the led close to the ir port on the camera and operate all the functions available on the remote… whether the camera is mounted inboard of a robot or housing of some sort… or on a tripod if I clamp the remote to the tripods pan tilt handle…

PJ
      Participant

Just curious, what are you going to use the camera for?

hmueller
      Participant

That is a valid question – what do you plan to use the camera for. If SD is acceptable, then the Canon ZR960 is a good solution. It does have an external mic input and a remote control and cost about $200 new.

XTR-91
      Participant

Never mind.

The FS200 doesn’t have a LANC port.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Consumer Camcorders’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

Stock media: How to find and use the best stock photos, videos, music and more

Acquiring stock media and editing it into your project is very often faster, cheaper and much more convenient than creating that media yourself.
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN