Help!! Canon GL2 WMS Pro Wireless set up

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I bought the WMS Pro Wireless mic and the adapter plugs directly into the camera without an XLR adapter. Problem is I only get noise out of the Left Channel. My question is… Is there any way to get it out of both channels without buying an XLR adapter? Do I need the XLR Adapter to get it to work on both Left and right Channels. Thank you for any help.

Participant

nothin???

Participant

1/4 inch and 1/8 inch mono phone plugs (“TS”) carry the signal on the tip and ground on the sleeve. Stereo phone plugs (“TRS”) have a third connector in between called the ring. TRS uses the tip for left, and the ring for right.

So when you plug a mono jack into a stereo input, the mono signal comes through as left stereo. If your microphone is mono, then that’s why. If your microphone is stereo, then check that your adapter’s output plug is stereo (three connectors on the plug).

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS_connector

Participant

I believe the mic is a mono. Therefore do I need to buy the XLR adapter to plug into? Thanks for the Info!

Participant

If there’s nothing you need coming on the left channel I don’t see the problem here unless it’s live.

The only reason I could explain noise coming out on the left is a faulty adapter connectivity, in between mic transformer, or just plain interference from outside signals.

Participant

Ok, I just found this little adapter online at radio shack. Since my mic is a mono I believe from what you are telling me that this will work to make it stereo and go to both right and left channels

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102690

Participant

If the ring on the male part of that adapter is connected to the tip in the female, then that should work, otherwise it won’t do anything. I can’t see anywhere on that page where it says either way–you might want to ask somebody that works at radioshack or just buy it and see.

If you are going to be editing the video later, you should be able to just split the audio and set the left track as mono in your video or sound editing program.

Participant

It seems like other people are saying that it’s just not very durable. Did all come out right when you first bought this adapter and then went crummy?

It looks to me like this device contacts both pieces of metal to make two audio channels into one. A reviewer said that he could hear both channels mixed into one throughan earbud of his MP3 player.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap