Help builiding a computer

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Luis Maymi LopezLuis Maymi Lopez
      Participant

Hi everyone

I am currently buying new parts for my desktop computer and my brother and I are trying to decide what to buy first. We want the following

1. 4GB RAM

2. 1TB Hard Drive

3. 1GB HDMI Video Card

We are saving money to buy all of them, but right now we can only buy one item (Our video making passion is kind of expensive, but we dont care because we love what we do) Our computer have a Intel Motherboard, Intel Pentium 4 processor and is able to work from 115V to 230V. It currently has 256MB Video Card, 256MB of RAM, 115GB Hard drive, runs Windows XP and it has two fans and we cannot put more.

We will use this computer for video editing (with Sony Vegas Pro 8), video special effects(with FX Home Vision Lab Studio), graphics designs (with Abobe Photoshop, Corel Paint Shop Pro and Blender), Web designing (with Microsoft Expression Web) and Audio editing (with Adobe Audition).

We want to know which of the three items should we buy first so we could start using it as an editing computer. We also want to know if the computer could be capable of handling such pressure with the current fans and motherboard.

Thank You and keep doing video.

Inactive

sarge, I would recommend that if you must use that configuration, I would buy ram and a second hard drive for storage. you can get these relatively cheap. That should help you in the short run. Vegas doesn’t need a honking big video card as it does it’s processing with ram and the MB processor. You will want to upgrade the processor when affordable to speed up rendering times.

John

Vegas doesn’t need a honking big video card as it does it’s processing with ram and the MB processor.

Amen to that. Also, far as I know only premiere CS4 supports 1GB cards. You should check with sony first. A good 512MB card will get you through nicely. Another thing, if you’re running WinXP at 32-bit, the most RAM it’s going to see is 3GB! Another sticky detail is; many high GB cards are massive. Will the card you’re looking to buy fit without blocking essential ports or causing you to remove other cards?

On our latest NLE we had XP Pro 32-bit w/4GB and all it would see was 2GB! After we installed SP-3 2.5 was all we could get. Ultimately, we went with Vista Business 64-bit and now it sees all 8GB we now have installed!

Far as your computer ‘handling the pressure with two fans’, I wouldn’t recommend it. Our new NLE has 5 with one taking up most of the side of the case cover!

Lastly, you didn’t mention a sound card. Your video may look great, but crappy sound will nullify it because you didn’t take into account an appropriate card.

Truthfully, it sounds like you maybe should be saving to build another rig.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Products of the Year — 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition, and its...
homicide-bootstrap