Help a teacher find a camcorder for school

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hello, I have been surfing this forum for the last hour, and am more overwhelmed than ever.

I have been approved to buy a camcorder for my classroom. My budget is $1000-1200. Now I need to decide on which one, or format for that matter. Please allow me to use your mega-knowledge in aiding my purchase. the uses of the camera will be classroom presentations and projects, school events, and the biggest one, I am going to film our snowboard team this winter, and make a video in the spring. which type of camera would best suit my needs, as far as picture quality, format, zoom, and price.

Thanks, this site is awesome!

Participant

I have thought about a micophone and tripod, but I will just use available light. We already have computers, and software from the district. I have decided on miniDV, but that is about it. besides 3CCD, optical zoom, and inputs, and firewire, is there anything else I should look for? thanks in advance.

Inactive

Boy, on your budget you’ll be hard-pressed to find a super great camera, but if you spend every penny of that $1200, you might be okay.

My advice would be more in the realms of being careful who you buy from. Thre are a lot of places out there that will sell you cameras like the Canon GL-2 (great for the stuff you mentioned) or the Sony VX-2100 (Even better than the GL-2 in lower lighting) for around your price range. In short, they’re rip-offs. They sell you open-box gray-market goods that are probably illegal to sell in the US to begin with, and definitely unethical to sell or buy.

Before you buy a camera, ask us about the shop, or better still, head on over to http://www.resellerratings.com and look them up yourself.

I would suggest using B&H (bhphotovideo.com) or a local service if you can. If I can’t physically touch a camera before I buy it, I at least buy it from someone I know that professionals trust.

Other than that, you’re really on the right track. Try to find a 3CCD camera that you can plug a mic and headphones into, not to mention Firewire.

Have fun spending our taxes! X-D

Participant

It is a little more than your budget, but take a look at the ag-dvc20. It is intended for use in an educational setting.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=446365&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Panasonic also has a number of educational programs as well – you might pursue seeing if they can get you a discount or sponsor some equipment.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap