Headphone solution?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I have a low end video camera (that is surprisingly high quality– Panasonic PV-GS80) All it has is a audio/video output (3.5 mil. i think-what ever size headphones are.) I want to plug head phones into this plug. I’ve already tried this, and i got buzzing in one earbud and audio in the other. Is there an adapter I can buy to maybe change the headphones to mono or something?

Any help would be appreciated!

Inactive

Unfortunately, this is probably a mic jack. The PV-GS300 (big brother of PV-GS80) has a mic jack but no headphone jack. I am assuming that it is the same with the PV-GS80. Sorry!

Jeremy

Inactive

I’m not exactly sure you’ve got an input, plugging headphones into the mic-in does two things. On most camcorders with the mini-stereo input, inserting anything into the plug will cause the camcorder to treat it as a microphone. So the camcorder records either a buzz or nothing at all (like when a mic is not turned on.) And what I hear while testing with my headphones is nothing at all. Utter silence. On the other hand, what you describe is exactly what happens when I’ve plug headphones into a “monitor” out, which seems to translate into a mono ear plug. So I’d pull out my handy stereo to mono mini jack adapter and then I could hear a mono signal in both ears.

But I would be interested in hearing what you hear if you plug in the headphones (with or without the adapter) and then tap on the camcorder’s built-in microphone. Even better, try scratching across them. If you hear that sound through the headphones, then the headphones are not acting as a mic. Or the microphone input isn’t functioning properly. You may want to record the testing while you do it to hear what is actually being recorded. If what you heard what was recorded, then what happens when you redo the scratch or tap test with a mic you know is good? It would be most perplexing if scratching on the external mic or the internal mic records scratching sounds. Which would lead me to believe the mini-stereo plug is not functioning properly at all. Especially when you get an audio output from the same plug.

So anyway, I’m curious. And, by the way, good luck with it all.

Inactive

I’m not exactly sure you’ve got an input, plugging headphones into the mic-in does two things. On most camcorders with the mini-stereo input, inserting anything into the plug will cause the camcorder to treat it as a microphone. So the camcorder records either a buzz or nothing at all (like when a mic is not turned on.) And what I hear while testing with my headphones is nothing at all. Utter silence. On the other hand, what you describe is exactly what happens when I’ve plug headphones into a “monitor” out, which seems to translate into a mono ear plug. So I’d pull out my handy stereo to mono mini jack adapter and then I could hear a mono signal in both ears. But I would be interested in hearing what you hear if you plug in the headphones (with or without the adapter) and then tap on the camcorder’s built-in microphone. Even better, try scratching across them. If you hear that sound through the headphones, then the headphones are not acting as a mic. Or the microphone input isn’t functioning properly. You may want to record the testing while you do it to hear what is actually being recorded. If what you heard what was recorded, then what happens when you redo the scratch or tap test with a mic you know is good? It would be most perplexing if scratching on the external mic or the internal mic records scratching sounds. Which would lead me to believe the mini-stereo plug is not functioning properly at all. Especially when you get an audio output from the same plug. So anyway, I’m curious. And, by the way, good luck with it all.

there is no mic input (it is a cheap video camera), only an audio/video output (similar to this but has video too)

Inactive

Sorry I was confused, the post with the fellow who owned the camera similar to yours got me off track.

Apparently what you are talking about is an standard mini-plug AV out. It provides a line-out signal of both audio channels and composite video. I just double checked and headphones can play the audio line out signals. But I’ve never seen anything that can plug into the three channel min-plug AV output except for the cable like what came with the camcorder. So all I did was use a normal AV cable out from the camcorder that ends in the red, white & yellow male RCA’s. We can ignore the yellow (composite video) connector. All you need to do is adapt the red & white male RCA’s into a stereo mini-plug. I’ve seen these kind of adapters for MP3 players to plug the player into a home stereo, except they are all male connectors & you’ll need all female connectors. So you will have to either get in-line connectors to change the male RCA’s into female RCA’s and the stereo mini-jack into a stereo mini-plug. Or you’ll need to locate the adapter I picked up somewhere, which is a stereo mini-plug into female RCA plugs. If you don’t know how to locate the adapters, take your AV cable & headphones to a Radio Shack and they can fix you up.

And, of course, you’ll have no volume control. A line out signal has a standardized volume level. So your headphone volume will only vary according to how the mic levels are set.

Sorry about the confusion and good luck connecting your headphones.

Participant

Sounds like you might have something jammed inside the jack that is preventing it connecting both ears. Try another pair headphones/earbuds and if you still have a problem try dipping your headphone jack into contact cleaner or rubbing alcohol, hold the camera upside down with the jack as the lowest point, and vigorously plug in your wet headphone connect several times. Might just need to get some of the corrosion off and this could do the trick. Let me know if this help!!!!

Inactive

please read above posts.

there is no problem with the headphones or connection. it’s just that the plug is not made to put headphones into. it is a combination Audio Video 1/8″ jack:

just want to know if there’s any way to put in headphones to this plug and not have horrible buzzing thru the one earbud (which is trying to do video; but obviously, it’s kinda hard for headphones to show video…)

Inactive

Yep, that’s what I thought you had. And as i just mentioned above, I’ve never seen that adapter. A 3.5mm AV plug into a 3.5mm stereo audio plug isn’t something an audio tech would have a use for. A headphone jack is a “variable line-out” while the signals from an AV plug are all “line level” which is generally much less than the “variable line level” for headphones. But anyway, you plug the cable in the photo into the camcorder, then you have any number of adapters to connect the RED right audio channel and the WHITE left audio channel to your headphones. The headphones need a 3.5mm stereo mini-plug connected to seperate left and right female RCA’s. I tested this myself and it works as well as it can work.

Please let me know if you’re confused in any way, hope you get this working for you. You might get better volume if you combine both audio channels. But it will still be very low level sound.

• Viewing 7 reply threads

Best Products

Best microphone for video production — 2020

Whether you’re recording audio for a commercial, a wedding or your next feature film, you need the best microphone possible.
    homicide-bootstrap