HDV v/s MiniDV

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Participant

Some bands that I had met (to make videos) had said that TV channels (such as Channel [v] and Vh1) won’t take videos shot in MiniDV, and only want high-end (high-def?) videos. Looking at camera ranges on the internet, I found HDV more expensive than MiniDV. However, when I read more about HDV, I found that it converts the video input into MPEG-2, so there is a likely loss or frame drop here, while MiniDV is raw. What’s the difference between both forms and why is one (here, HDV) preferred by TV channels?

Inactive

As far as why stations prefer High Definition (HD) video, the simple answer is because it’s better. It’s typically got 1080 lines of resolution, as opposed to a measly 720 on Standard Definition (SD) Pictures are sharper, and look better (so long as you know what you’re doing).

However, I would do more research fist into what format tape these stations want. Most HD camcorders still record onto a standard MiniDV cassette. If the issue is not accepting MiniDV tapes, then even a High Def camera might not be the final output solution.

One local news station here doesn’t take MiniDV tapes either. They want their footage either on BetaCAM or on the full-sized DV Tapes, so whenever I do freelance stuff for them, I need to convert my stuff. This is as simple as finding either a camcorder or a VCR in the acceptable formats, and dubbing the tape over.

Hope that helps.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Video Reference Monitor Buyer’s Guide

The best video monitors — 2020

We rely on our video monitors to show us an accurate representation of our images throughout the production process. Here are some of the best video monitors currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap