HDV burned to Blu-Ray—noob question

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I’m new to these boards, but what I’ve seen so far looks great. I’m hoping you guys can help me settle on some things that I just don’t know enough about. Here’s what I’m trying to do:

I want to be able to shoot high-def video and then create my own high-def dvd’s (blu-ray seems best given what I’ve found). Here is the equipment I am looking at right now:

Canon XH-A1 3CCD HDV Camcorder- $ 4,199.95

The Canon XH-A1 is an extension of the XL-H1 HDV camcorder. The camera is geared towards the videographer on a budget who isn’t willing to compromise any of the professional attributes of its big brother. With the same high quality 1/3" CCDs, the camera yields an image both crisp and noise-free. The solid feeling is instantly apparent when operating the XH-A1; despite its modest frame, the camera performs like a pro!

Utilizing the highly efficient HDV compression format allows over an hour of high definition recording on a single miniDV tape! Featuring a 20x fluorite fixed lens, its superior optics gives professional level shooters ultimate image fidelity unmatched by the competition. Also included is the Instant AF auto-focus system, incorporating technology that helps reduce auto focus reaction time while increasing overall accuracy.

The XH-A1 camcorder has three 1/3" 16:9 interlaced CCDs that capture images at 1080i resolution. The camcorder features selectable frame rates of 60i, 30 Frame and 24 Frame to allow the user to adjust to the assignment at hand and can switch back to SD resolution if needed. At the 30 Frame rate, broadcasters can capture fast motion like sports with confidence that each frame is captured individually and completely. Filmmakers can utilize the 24 Frame rate when creating the look and feel of movie film. The 60i frame rate, meanwhile, delivers exceptional resolution for shooting environments like ENG or Reality TV.

Bravo SE Blu (Blu-ray Disc/DVDdrive)-$2995.00
      Bravo SE is Primera’s newest "all-in-one" disc publishing system. It combines fast, automated robotic CD / BD / DVD duplication along with full-color, 4800 dpi direct-to-disc printing – all in one compact, desktop unit.

Bravo SE is ideal for producing either one at a time, unique discs or jobs of up to 20 discs at a time. Models include both Windows-based PC and Mac duplication software.

Hands-Free Production of CDs / DVDs / BDs
      Have you ever had to burn discs one at a time and then manually print and apply sticky labels? If so, you know how much time and effort is involved. Even ordering discs from an outside vendor takes too much time and is too expensive. Youve probably thought to yourself, There has to be a better way!

Now, there is. It’s the new Bravo SE Disc Publisher from Primera. Bravo SE is a compact, all-in-one automated disc production factory that fits right on your desktop. It produces full-color, high-quality discs that make your business or organization look truly professional.

Advanced Robotics
      Bravo SE takes the complex task of burning and printing discs and makes it simple. It uses Primera’s sixth-generation robotics, ensuring reliable and efficient operation.

Here’s how the process works:
      1. Bravo SE’s robot arm picks a blank disc from the input bin.
      2. The disc is placed into the integrated recorder.
      3. The disc is burned.
      4. The robot moves the disc to the built-in, 4800 dpi direct-to-disc inkjet color printer.
      5. The disc is printed.
      6. The robot picks the disc from the printer, places it into the output bin and starts over again.

Bravo SE does all of the work for you unattended and automatically. It saves you time and money on every disc you produce!

Many Applications
      Bravo SE is perfect for a wide variety of light- to medium-duty disc publishing jobs. You can burn and print individual discs with unique data or quantities of the same disc. Just a few of the most popular applications include video and music content, software, press kits, trade show handouts, instruction and training manuals, technical documentation, PowerPoint presentations, catalogs the possibilities are almost endless!

Simple Installation and Operation
      Easy-to-use software is included for both Windows and Mac PCs. Installation is fast and easy, too. Just connect one cable, install one print cartridge and load one software program. Youll be automatically burning and printing discs in minutes.

Robust, Water-Resistant Media
      You can use virtually any printable-surface DVD-R or CD-R media. For ultimate performance, try Primera’s new TuffCoat with AquaGuard surface (matte finish) or TuffCoat with WaterShield surface (glossy finish). Both are highly water-resistant and produce the most professional-looking discs you’ve ever seen!

AutoPrinter Model Also Available
      If you only need to print, the Bravo SE AutoPrinter produces gorgeous, full-color discs in jobs of up to 20 discs at a time. It’s the perfect, low-cost automated printing solution for the tower-style duplicator that you may already own.

Blu-ray Discs Supported
      Primera now offers professional-grade disc publishing systems for Blu-ray Disc Media with its Bravo SE Blu Disc Publisher. Ideal for developers of PlayStation033 game software as well as high-definition video production, the Bravo SE Blu system works automatically and "hands-free."

Using precision computer-controlled robotics, discs are transported into the integrated Pioneer03 BD-R/DVD-R recordable drive. Then, each disc is individually printed in brilliant, high-resolution color at up to 4800 d

The Price/Performance Leader
      Bravo SE is the most affordable automated CD / BD / DVD disc publisher ever produced, providing you with highly professional results at a new, more affordable price. Primera distributes its products in more than 80 countries and manufactures more automated disc publishers than any other company in the world. You can be confident that you’re in good company when you buy Primera!

VAIO HD Video Editing System VGC-RM1 -$3499.00

Twin-Unit Form Factor
      Designed for HD video editors who demand flexibility and crave a cool, quiet working environment, the VAIO RM HD (high definition) video editing system consists of two separate units. The desktop unit is slim and black with an attractive brushed aluminum form factor. The larger deskside unit also features a brushed aluminum panel as well as an air-vent design for improved airflow. Both units can be placed horizontally and vertically.

1 Terabyte HDD Storage
      Equipped with a staggering 1 terabyte HDD (Hard Disk Drive) storage, the RM1 HD video editing system is both your PC and A/V recording server. With 4 X 250GB4 SATA hard drives configured in 2 RAID 0 volumes, you can store a colossal amount of high definition camcorder video, music and photos without fear of space becoming an issue.

Enhanced Performance with Blu-Ray Disc
      To burn a truly exceptional HD video, you need the highest possible media capacity to deliver the highest definition picture and sound quality. With the Blu-ray Disc-enabled VAIO RM PC, you can record an outstanding 50GB of high-definition video on a single Blu-ray Disc.

Powerful Processor
      The VAIO VGC-RM1 editing system features an Intel Core 2 Duo processor for exceptional performance while undertaking CPU-intensive tasks such as high definition video editing, sound mixing and audio dubbing. All this can be done with outstanding energy efficiency, which is great for multi-tasking videophiles who want to edit an HD movie while 50GB of video burns to a single BD-R Dual Layer Recordable Disc in the background.

someone mentioned looking at the panasonic HVX-200 in place of the Canon.

Am I on the right path at all?

TIA

Inactive

The problem with the computer is it seems like you’re stuck with what you get. I don’t know what you can do with it as far as expandability. It seems to be a very proprietary system.

As far as the XH-A1, that’s a viable option. You may also want to consider Sony’s FX1.

And I would only get the blue-ray burner if 1) you absolutely need it and 2) blue-ray is something you think will stick around. Otherwise I would spend the money on a single-bay blue-ray burner and a single-bay HD-DVD burner.

Here’s the Sony RM1 review:
      http://www.videomaker.com/article/13222/

Mark

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap